Author Topic: Backing up files.  (Read 1621 times)

bexar656

Backing up files.
« on: January 16, 2010, 03:30:33 AM »
I hope it's ok to ask this question here.  Looking for a way to backup my general files I was considering Corbonite but I ask myself is it safe to give your information to a company who will store it for you. Doesn't this give outsiders a chance to get at your information. I tried using an external hard drive but it's somewhat confusing to me and didn't backup most of my files. Also I have a lot of pictures I'd like to backup and altho the Carbonite site say it backs up photos I've been told it doesn't. Thanks

YoKenny

Re: Backing up files.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:13:25 AM »
I see that you now have more than 20 posts which will permit you to update your profile to include signature information.

Go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then Signature: and put information about your system if you like just like my signature to help the helpers provide information that will be useful to you.

You may want to remove your Yahoo from your Account Related Settings in PROFILE by selecting Hide email address from public?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:17:45 AM by YoKenny »

timcan

Re: Backing up files.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »
I hope it's ok to ask this question here.  Looking for a way to backup my general files I was considering Corbonite but I ask myself is it safe to give your information to a company who will store it for you. Doesn't this give outsiders a chance to get at your information.

Hi, I've never used carbonite but it sounds safe to me.As a added precaution I guess you could encrypt files yourself before uploading.
Carbonite uses a combination of encryption techniques, similar to those used by banks, to safeguard your data. Files are encrypted twice before they leave your computer and remain encrypted on our servers, making it virtually impossible for anyone to access your files without your secret password. Users are also given the option to manage their own encryption key.

I use a free online storage site called Adrive to store photos ect. http://www.adrive.com/plans
hope this helps