Author Topic: Win 32 spyware-gen - Newbie needs help. Moderator, please.  (Read 3189 times)

vastaman

Win 32 spyware-gen - Newbie needs help. Moderator, please.
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:49:42 PM »
This is my first time on any forum, so please excuse my naiveness.

My computer is infected with Win32:Spyware-gen. It seems like its a worm, because it travels from file to file. Below is the brief of my efforts:
1. Computer started acting weird.
2. Tried to scan with 4.8, but would get at C:\SWSETUP\WLASST\Disk1
3. Tried to excluded the above, it would get stuck on C:\SWSETUP\WLA2
4. Tried Boot-Scan it found a file (don't remember the location) and corresponding file in system Restore and moved it to chest.
5. I tried scanning the chest file and found no infection.
6. Restored the files and deleted the chest.
7. Boot-Scanned, again it found the worm was in MSWORKS\Tutor... and system restore (diff than before).
8. This time I deleted them.
9. Boot-Scanned, everything looked clean. But the computer was still acting weird. Shutdown was v. slow, Startup and login were slow.
9. Figured out the reason it was getting stuck was something in the system volume information folder which had MountPointRemoteDatabase and Tracking.log.
10. Deleted the FOLDERs, rebooted. Everyting was recreated. Again deleted it. rebooted again it was recreated. This time when I tried to access it was denied. That told me that the folder was now secure. I ran the scan and it went through clean.
11. I downloaded  AVAST 5 and ran a boot scan and it caught the win32:spyware-gen. This time a different file. I told boot-scan to delete it (What ahppen if you ask it to repair, can it really do it). After this delete the scan came up clean. I just ran boot-scan again.
12. I don't know how to set the boot-scan to move everything to chest. Can you please tell me how?
13. The reason for posting the post is, is this malware going to keep poping here and there. I am new to this and don't know much only that it has a lot of variants.
14. Can some one please explain. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:12:38 AM by vastaman »

vastaman

Re: Win 32 spyware-gen - Newbie needs help.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 11:14:17 PM »
I am new to this forum and I am confused. I asked for help and there were lot views but no replies. There are post after mine that were replied. What am I doing wrong?

anyone!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 05:10:10 AM by vastaman »

vastaman

Re: Win 32 spyware-gen - Newbie needs help.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:11:42 AM »
moderator, please?

ArtemisF0wl

Re: Win 32 spyware-gen - Newbie needs help. Moderator, please.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 05:21:56 AM »
this is not meant to be an answer to your problem, but i deleted my C:\swsetup folder the day i got my laptop. im pretty sure it just contains setup files for all the applications your computer came with like norton, microsoft office trial, games, etc.
plus, spyware-gen is a heuristic detection unless im mistaken, so theres a chance that the file(s) in question arent really malicious. you could try uploading the suspect file to virustotal  or jotti  to get more opinions about the file? just typing out loud here.... ;)