Author Topic: mail shield not working and start up failure  (Read 2958 times)

drmohitanand

mail shield not working and start up failure
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:04:07 PM »
i installed free edition of avast 5 yesterday. i was using avast 4 before and happy with it. now in this version mail shield does not start though other real time shield are working. its not starting even after hitting start button repeatedly. same is case with fixnow button in summary section . avast icon is persistently showing exclamation mark.also twice it has happened that on starting comp from shutdown there is start up failure and windows works after creating a restore point to a point before avast installation and i had to reinstall and reregister. i use vista home premium and had downloaded using orbit. my laptop is hp

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: mail shield not working and start up failure
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:33:14 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and try to collect your email again, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Whilst the above is related to the ability to collect email there may also be some form of application blocking in your firewall, which may stop it completely.

If the above doesn't have any affect, then a clean reinstall would be best:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Direct link to the avast free antivirus version 5.0.462 released today, http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here ensure you get the version5 one (it has uninstall tools for both 4.8 and 5.0), aswClear5.exe and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility from safe mode, first for 4.8 if previously installed and then for 5.0, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security