Author Topic: Fix Now?  (Read 2096 times)

Juanpablo

Fix Now?
« on: March 24, 2010, 12:17:59 AM »
ok, i have avast free edition. it will not pause or stop scan when i press the button. or when i press "fix now" it does nothing, or when i go to real-time shield all the service is stopped and i can't start it. how do i fix this? i barely know anything about computers so can anyone help me?

olddog

Re: Fix Now?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:10:28 AM »
ok, i have avast free edition. it will not pause or stop scan when i press the button. or when i press "fix now" it does nothing, or when i go to real-time shield all the service is stopped and i can't start it. how do i fix this? i barely know anything about computers so can anyone help me?

If you want any meaningful response to your request, you need to take the time to provide some worthwhile information, like what operating system you have (XP, Vista, windows 7, whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit, what type of CPU your PC has, the speed, and how much memory. It also helps to indicate what other security software you are running and whether it is on demand or real time, what firewall you use etc. The more information you give, the better chance of getting a satisfactory answer.

Saying you have avast free edition does not impart a great deal, is like saying you have a Ford car. Exactly what version of Avast do you have you have?

If you are using Avast 5.0.462 which is the current version, what were you using before?
Did you uninstall the previous AV, and if so exactly how did you go about it, or if it was an earlier version of Avast, did you uninstall it or did you update over the top of the previous version?.

Asking perhaps the obvious, but have you rebooted since installing whatever version of Avast you are currently using?.

For Avast to work properly, it needs to have firewall permissions for a number of items (exactly what depends on whether you are using Avast 4.8 or 5.0). Depending on what firewall software you are using, sometimes the best way of getting the correct permissions is to first remove all permissions for the AV system in the firewall, and then let it ask afresh for the permissions it needs, and when it does make these permanent.