Author Topic: see how hard it is for other AVs to get a mail shield up and running :)  (Read 3159 times)

Hermite15

to be fully covering the scanning of mails in Thunderbird, it seems Eset needs an extension. I didn't know that at all :D Problems arise from the moment this very extension isn't compatible anymore with the latest version of Thunderbird :o and there's no update ;D Okay from what they say, POP is still scanned, but SMTP isn't, and IMAP neither :D (also, this extension should provide anti-spam protection). The devs there should definitely ask Avast how things work don't you think? (except for anti-spam, as I don't like the way it works in AIS)

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=275674

disPlay

Again I'm impressed how avast can keep up  :P. just one thing Why avast mail don't support the DeltaSync protocol from microsoft?

Hermite15

Again I'm impressed how avast can keep up  :P. just one thing Why avast mail don't support the DeltaSync protocol from microsoft?

delta sync is MS proprietary software, in order for it to be scanned the protocol should be also implemented in Avast mail proxy, and that's impossible as MS doesn't provide the code ;D Well that's my interpretation ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Because it is a MS proprietary protocol and only MS email clients can use it. It converts web based email into email format and doesn't use POP3 protocol, etc. so avast isn't able to monitor it.

One exception might be MS Outlook as avast has a plug-in within MS Outlook which would mean it may be able to scan the email after the delta sync is done, but I don't know if this is the case as I don't use MS Outlook.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:25:42 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

yeah I was away from the computer and I was just thinking about that too >>> DeltaSync is completely integrated into Windows Live Mail, and I doubt it could be redirected to a mail proxy.

As to Outlook, I haven't used it long enough to tell.  Delta Sync isn't the only alternative for hotmail accounts (apart from POP), there's Microsoft Exchange...in Outlook 2010. Can't remember Avast mail shield behavior with it, but I don't think Avast can interfere with that either.
 As to the Avast plugin, I couldn't try it as I'm on 64 bit. Thought the goal of was just to scan archived mails there...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:47:17 PM by Logos »

disPlay

Thanks for the clarification.

Hermite15

okay but back to topic ;D , please comment on Eset conception of a mail shield, sounds a bit mad doesn't it?

disPlay

Yup they need to develop something better to keep up with the mail programs updates.