Author Topic: Questions regarding new AV 5 Pro  (Read 2424 times)

jkargan

Questions regarding new AV 5 Pro
« on: July 16, 2010, 03:43:15 PM »
My subscription to 4.8 Pro is running out.  I have a couple of questions regarding the new AV Pro 5.  (Not the suite.)

What is the best way to uninstall ver. 4.8 Pro?  Will the simple ADD/REMOVE in Windows XP do it okay, or do I need a 'special' uninstaller to do it?

Can one use ver. 5 AV Pro without using the sandbox feature?

Thanks.

- JKargan -

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Questions regarding new AV 5 Pro
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »
You can install avast5 Pro over 4.8, it will retain your license information, uninstall avast 4.8 Pro and install avast 5 Pro.

Pro AV: http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe - Avast! Pro antivirus Quick Start Guide http://files.avast.com/files/documentation/quick-start-guide-pro-en-ww.pdf

The Sandbox (Process Virtualization) isn't run as an always on for everything, you select the programs to be run in the sandbox. The help file describes it well and I believe the Quick Start Guide pdf link does to (I don't use the Pro version so I'm not speaking from personal experience).

Quote from: Extract from avast Help file.
Sandbox
This is a completely new feature in avast! Pro antivirus and avast! Internet Security which allows you to browse the web or run another application in a completely safe environment. This is especially useful when visiting high-risk web sites, whether accidentally or deliberately, as the browser will be completely contained within the sandbox, preventing any damage to your computer from infected sites.

The sandbox can also be used to run any other applications which you think may be suspect - you can run the program inside the sandbox to determine whether or not it is safe while remaining completely protected against any malicious actions that it may try to carry out.

To run an application or to browse the web using the sandbox, just click on "Run a virtualized process" then browse the files on your computer to find the required application e.g. Internet Explorer. The browser or other application will then open in a special window with a red border, indicating that it is being run inside the sandbox.

In the Expert Settings, you can further define applications that should always be run in virtualized mode, and trusted applications that should never be virtualized.

Context Menu
By checking the box "Integrate into the right-click context menu..." on the Parameters screen, you can add this option to the context menu. You can add this option for all users, or only for users with administrator rights.

You can then run an application in the sandbox by simply right-clicking it and selecting "Run virtualized".

If an application should always be run in the sandbox every time it is started, select "Always run in sandbox" and the application will be added to the list of applications on the Expert Settings screen which should always be run virtualized. Every time the application is started, it will appear inside a red border which indicates that it is being run inside the sandbox.

Right-clicking on an application that is already in the sandbox, will open a new context menu which will enable the application to be run one time outside the sandbox or alternatively, it can be removed from the sandbox completely so that it will be run in the normal environment again every time it is started.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Questions regarding new AV 5 Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »
If you want an installation from scratch, follow this:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.