Author Topic: Happy so far....  (Read 3828 times)

Spectacle

Happy so far....
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:13:17 AM »
Hi, folks!

Just installed Avast Free Version 5.0.594, THANKS!

That's after removing Avira Free AV program, on my year 2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110 > P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, with Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, Super-Antispyware & Malwarebytes on a 56K dialup connection [all that's available].

This computer described may sound like a slow old dinosaur but in fact it's notably faster than the HP Pavilion 2.8Gb sitting right here next to it! Just got finished dumping the garbage out of that one and tuned it up for a friend and my old Dell desktop is still much faster!

Computer is 2 to 3 times faster on the internet with Avast!. It got so slow before that I would open forum pages in a new window just so I wouldn't have to wait the extra 15-30 seconds for a page transition back to main after reading! Startup is much faster, opening programs is faster. E-mail downloads quicker.

I had some continual problems with Avira but they may have been because of Online Armor, that the 2 programs conflict? Don't know, but Avast! sure works great for me now. We'll see what happens after it has loaded a few updates, if it gets bloated or not?

So for now, instead of complaints here's a CONGRATULATIONS Avast!, great Antivirus so far! Thanks!

Spectacle

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Happy so far....
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:10:29 AM »
Welcome to avast and to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 02:55:35 AM »
Spectacle, thanks for the positive posting.
Sometimes is good to see a positive feedback!
Welcome to forums.
The best things in life are free.

silviucc

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:36:45 PM »
You are not alone in being very pleasantly surprised by the recent avast build.

I used avast about 5 months ago and was not happy with it, actually I was not happy with any other AV solution. They kept choking machine i/o and decided to go without AV, just Win 7 64bit HP + UAC+ various security related browser addons (WOT, NoScript etc) + Windows Firewall and lots of common sense. After I posted my build on another forum someone there pointed out that I should really not go without AV with such a machine and recommended to give avast another shot. I was blown away by how well it worked, no slowdowns, I did not even notice it.

jwall

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 03:19:39 PM »
Yes, Avast rocks!
I too left Avira after it let me get infected.
Avast does not slow me down either.

AMD 3000+

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:51:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback...!! :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ravi16aug

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 06:03:40 PM »
avast! is like a MacBook Pro - slick, fast and strong. It runs light, has great detection, has a superb feature - boot time scan, updates like a swiss watch, GUI is clear and very easy to understand, and the amount of user manageable sensitivity tweaks are just correct - neither over nor underwhelming. 

Spectacle

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:31:44 PM »
Hi folks!

Thanks fr the welcome & replies!

Yes, Silviu C, I also tried just about every AV out there, including various Internet Security Suites too. One after another ended in complete frustration or disaster, and often days to completely uninstall! That is, until I discovered REVO Free Uninstaller, WOW! Great program for a dummy like me.

This Avast! seems to be what I was looking for, very low impact on my computer. It hasn't updated properly but another thread directed me to set to 'No Proxy' so I imagine that was my problem, we'll see.

So far, so good! Thanks all!

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 02:00:15 AM »
For me, .594 is very close to perfection. :)
printed on 100% recycled bytes