Author Topic: Avast and McAfee Security Scan Plus: conflict?  (Read 25699 times)

jokera

Avast and McAfee Security Scan Plus: conflict?
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »
I have avast and somehow this program McAfee Security Scan Plus got downloaded into the computer , it could have been with adobe update or  NoScript   download...        .
Will it interfere with avast, do I really needed it or should I delete it?
Many thanks...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 06:18:25 PM by jokera »

Hermite15

Re: Avast and McAfee Security Scan Plus: conflict?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:31:21 PM »
it normally shouldn't interfere, as it's just a diagnostic tool; but if you're on Vista/Seven you just don't need it as security center (Action Center in Seven) do that job. Also, this McAffee tool is resident I suppose, so yes it could interfere. I personally would never install that, especially from a vendor producing his own security product, the goal after all being probably to get you to buy a McAfee suite ;)

ps: from the page here: http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/affiliates/adobe/landingpages/np681.asp?cid=72563
it doesn't seem to be resident, so may be it's okay.

what bothers me are the miscellaneous statuses, meaning you're really protected only if you got McAfee on board  ;D ...otherwise at best "no issue found" :D

Your computer is at risk: At risk because anti-virus software, firewall protection and/or web security is not found, out of date, or turned off. Click Fix Now to go to McAfee's website, where you can purchase complete protection.

No issues found: Your computer is running a non-McAfee anti-virus, firewall protection and /or web security is on and up-to date.

Your Computer is Protected by McAfee: You are protected because you're running up to date McAfee anti-virus, firewall protection and web security.

Issues Found: Issues are found because you do not have web security even though your anti-virus software and, firewall protection, may be on and up to date. Click Fix Now to go to McAfee's website, where you can download McAfee Site Advisor Free!

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »
The McAfee probably came with Firefoxs' Flash.

Without giving the correct permissions in NoScript, you do not even see the check box to allow/deny when you install.

jokera

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:45:31 PM »
Thanks for the feedback...
So, do I need it, will it interfere?, I certainly did not choose to downloaded it came with either of those two  I mentioned...

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback...
So, do I need it, will it interfere?, I certainly did not choose to downloaded it came with either of those two  I mentioned...

again I don't think it will interfere, but again, no you don't need it at all ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 09:09:55 PM »
@  jokera

If your signature is accurate Windows XP Profesional, SP2, Version 5,1  2002 then SP2 is no longer supported! ;)

Support for Windows XP Service Pack 2 ends on July 13, 2010
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean31

jokera

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
Thanks Logos and YoKenny:
This is actually my dad´s computer, I´m in Spain visiting and I already opened a thread here:http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=62671.0
The viruses, 5 !!! that were in it are gone and with Essexboy´s help is now clean, but the reason SP2 is still there is because  the computer is not able to download from windows update, the last update was  about  18 months ago
According to Essexboy it seems the the edb log is corrupt and The only alternative left now is a repair install
can`t find the cd so since I´m leaving soon I´m tring to leave the computer as secure as it could be without the windows update ... :-\   I installed a few programs and we´ll see....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:36:30 PM by jokera »

antonyburgess

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 12:00:24 AM »
well your best bet to keep it clean is  using avast anti-virus and use super anti-spyware  and anti malwarebytes,  should be enough to keep viruses out  ;D