Author Topic: No longer possible to download Avast Free??  (Read 9472 times)

Clive Photo

Re: No longer possible to download Avast Free??
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 11:18:47 AM »
Safesurf- hope I haven't upset you, I am not being sarcastic when I say your help is appreciated. Any comments intended to be a little barbed were aimed at the other bloke who was anything but helpful.

I have read the Dennis Tech Labs report, considering how well the free Avast performed in their tests I can only assume the Pro version would have been better, maybe up there with Norton, and it's a shame they didn't include it. Maybe next time.

So, once again, my thanks and appreciation for taking the time is sincerely offered.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 03:35:05 PM »
<snip>
Got the download but having been prompted to check out the anti-virus market (top ten reviews dot com) I find that Avast has slipped to No.11, and that's the pro version so I'm guessing the free version will be well out of the top 20.

The No.1 product BitDefender is only a smidge over 19 quid. As I say, strange strategy for Avast to push potential users of their free download to buy elswhere but my irritation and frustration has changed to gratitude for being pointed towards a better solution.

Here's an interesting one for you then, http://www.avast.com/pr-avast-free-antivirus-is-a-suite-performer.

PRAGUE, Czech Republic, September 21, 2010 - avast! Free Antivirus was a top performer in the Dennis Technology Labs test sponsored by Symantec, outscoring a number of paid-for applications.

Avast! Free Antivirus outscored the paid-for internet security suites from Bit-Defender, McAfee, and Trend-Micro. In addition, avast! topped the below-average performance of free programs from AVG, Avira, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

Get that, in a test sponsored by Symantec :P

Edit, Oops - Just seen your post, on page 2 after replying to your post on page 1 so you have seen the article ;D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:37:24 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
Thanks for your help Safesurf, it is appreciated.

I see that, unlike some evangalists, you have not found THE answer an decided your energies must be directed towards defending your position at all costs, refusing to consider any opinion which does not agree with yours and insulting anyone who refuses to go along with you.

Maybe Vladymire is right, though, the web is well known for being full of rubbish so maybe the best solution is stay away from it and go back to the library. Certainly addresses a large part of the virus problem. I shall ponder it.

I must get on now but for the record I am not rubbishing Avast, it has served me well over the years but I do question their marketing strategy.  Why send anyone attempting to download the free version to a page which appears to be designed to push them towards other products that, on the face of it, compare very well price and performance wise with their own product? We may never know and I have no desire to press for an answer.

It seems I must take more time with my replies.

I have no issue with you pointing out the less than ideal download source for avast! Free.  It's true that I did respond sarcastically to the naive-sounding way you described the CNET experience, because that's just the way it is.
In an ideal world, avast! would be able to serve all their English-language free customers with downloads from their own servers. However, in the real world the cost is prohibitive, so they offload it to others who will do it for free but are funded by advertising.

Also please don't interpret my comments as actual opinions of BitDefender. Apart from it being a good product, in regard to its origins, the significance of my nickname should not be ignored. ;D

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 04:48:03 PM by Vladimyr »
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline nobility

• The Family Historian
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »
Cnet is okay -- ie8 is what I have and no problem -- I think a lotd of vendors use them and others instead of their own servers  - not sure why but -- as long as you get the product!
Windows 10 Home  - Avast Free