Author Topic: Google search results redirecting, Avast can't find issue  (Read 4873 times)

xnailsx

Google search results redirecting, Avast can't find issue
« on: October 05, 2010, 06:30:22 AM »
I removed the add-ons in Firefox (v3.5.13), which were f5 Networks plugin and Google Gears. I updated Avast and did a full system scan, as well as a boot scan, and deleted the few things it found. I also download Ad-Aware, Iobit, and Hitman Pro, and each claims to have found something and removed them, but yet every time I search in google and click the result it always redirects me. It doesn't matter which result I hit, it does it every time. I have to use the back drop down arrow to go back to the search results page and click the link again before it will open. Sometimes it will redirect to an ad, sometimes it's a site I visit myself, like myspace. I get the same results in IE7, so this is not a browser issue. Avast cannot find the malware (and originally Avast could not update, but I got rid of the virus that was causing that problem) and I'm getting pretty frustrated. Please help.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:34:35 AM by xnailsx »

SafeSurf

Re: Google search results redirecting, Avast can't find issue
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:46:53 AM »
Hello xnailsx and welcome to the forums.  :)

1.   What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?
2.   What version of Avast did you install?  5.0.677 is the latest version.
3.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?

What was the malware that was identified?

Since Ad-Aware is obsolete and has been replaced with MBAM, please check your machine for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).
·    Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·    Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·    After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·    Under Settings:
o    General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o    Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o    Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·    Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·    The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·    When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·    Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·    The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·    Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  Thank you.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:09:03 PM »
Is there any reason why you are using an old version of firefox (3.5.13), when the latest version is 3.6.10 ?

These updates close security vulnerabilities, so my suggestion would be not just getting rid of the add-ons, but to download the latest version of firefox, uninstall the current one, reboot and install the latest firefox version.

AdAware, waste of hard disk space, Iobit, ethical practices, use MBAM as has been suggested (iobit were accused of using their signatures some time ago), so I personally wouldn't use any of their products.

Are you getting google redirects in IE also ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »
This might work.

Type in about:config into Firefox.

Click I'll be careful, I promise.

Then type keyword.url into filter.
Double click value and type in http://www.google.com/search?q=

And all things entered in the address bar should be directed to google.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:11:36 AM »
That isn't the problem, the problem is that his google search results are being redirected.

So as I suggested a clean reinstall of firefox considering his use of an old version would probably be best.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 06:38:22 AM »
xnailsx,

In addition to David's suggestions, I still need you to update and run the MBAM scan to check for malware.  When a person is being redirected to another site, this could be a sign of malware.
What was the malware that was identified?

Since Ad-Aware is obsolete and has been replaced with MBAM, please check your machine for malware with Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware (MBAM).

I get the same results in IE7, so this is not a browser issue.
You really should update IE7 to IE8 (or IE9 depending on your OS) since there are security holes in IE7.