Author Topic: Malicious URL Blocked: Repeating error message, can't find a virus  (Read 5494 times)

parapants

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help.

I'm receiving a Avast warning message "Malicious URL Blocked", "Avast! Network Shield has blocked a harmless site."  I'm not websurfing, and these are coming up every 8 minutes or so.  The rest of the error message is:

Object: z0g7yai0.com/    Followed by a random key that looks like Fku7zc9d6c3ytJc6Y2xrPTIuMSZiaWQ9Nzg1mTM1NjE1NWE0N

Infection: URL:Mal

Action: Blocked

Process: c:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Malicious URL Blocked: Repeating error message, can't find a virus
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:39:16 AM »
There would appear to be something hidden or undetected that is trying to connect to this site and it is using svchost.exe to connect.

What is your firewall ?
That should help protect against unauthorised outbound connections. The legit svchost.exe (service host) is normally only used by windows update, so anything else is likely to be malicious.

Can you post an image of the avast alert as I cant get where you get this "Avast! Network Shield has blocked a harmless site." The network shield doesn't block harmless sites, not to mention I can find no information on a domain registration for z0g7yai0.com, so I'm not really sure what is going on with this domain name.

####
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

azucarmom

Re: Malicious URL Blocked: Repeating error message, can't find a virus
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 03:44:38 PM »
I had this same problem and apparently had a issue that Avast didn't find in either the full system scan OR the boottime scan.  :-\ I contacted windows because I couldn't run the updates and they sent me this file to run, which found and cured the problem (it was \Harddisk0\MBR ).  Here's the link from windows that worked for me:

Remove Trojan or viruses

==================

1. Download the file TDSSKiller.zip from the following link and save it on the Desktop

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.zip

2. Double click TDSSKiller.zip to unzip the file.

3. Double click TDSSKiller.exe to scan the system.

4. Wait for the scan and disinfection process to complete.

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

I have to say I'm very surprised Windows Help was able to help at all, usually they're a hot mess.  Good luck.