Author Topic: Mail Scanner can not establish SSL  (Read 4495 times)

szasza

Mail Scanner can not establish SSL
« on: September 07, 2010, 09:33:50 PM »
Dear avast Developers,

The Mail Scanner module is unable to establish the SSL connection with the server. In my case it's Opera/Gmail/IMAP on WinXP Pro SP3 - but reading through the forum others have the same problem with different mail clients, e-mail providers, protocols, on different systems. If this is true (and they really got all their settings right too), then it must be a bug in the avast module. At this point, of course, I can't tell why it is unable to establish the connection exactly - and it keeps trying endlessly until I close the mail client.
Just to make things crystal clear:
- ALL the settings are correct;
- nothing is blocking avast in any way to access the network;
- the related entry in the avast mail.log:
(...) Cannot establish SSL with IMAP server x.x.x.x:993, SSL_connect error 5

Since it seems that there are lucky ones who can get it to work without a hitch, the issue certainly needs a deeper investigation.

Thanks in advance for your effort.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Mail Scanner can not establish SSL
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:30:43 PM »
Check this first - avast! 5.x: SSL Problems The Mail Shield may not scan some e-mails - see http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458.

What is your email program ?
Or are you using Opera's mail program.

Note: there is a new program update, see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=63621.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

szasza

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:55:33 PM »
Check this first - avast! 5.x: SSL Problems The Mail Shield may not scan some e-mails - see http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458.
As I mentioned, all the settings are correct, which means ALL THE SETTINGS are correct.

I didn't address my post to the developers by coincidence: since I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the Mail Scanner module, thus only developers can figure it out.
Even if we unlucky ones who experience the same problem might have something odd in our systems, the mail client(s) can manage the task without a hitch in the same circumstances - so should avast (by the way Opera uses OpenSSL as well).

So any chance for this issue to be examined by a developer in the near future?

Note: everything is the same with v5.0.677, of course.

Tiivitaavi

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 09:20:15 AM »
I agree with Szasza. I have one email account (with even nonstandard ports) for which Avasts's encryption works fine, and another account (with a completely different service provider) for which the encryption doesn't work at all, neither the POP3's encryption nor the SMTP's. For this second account I'm forced to use Outlook's encryption, which works fine.

And before you asked, I've also tried the correct Outlook/Avast settings with this second account.