Author Topic: should I click "install"?  (Read 2500 times)

lee88

should I click "install"?
« on: November 17, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »
I have avast free 4.8 and never did get notice of the new 5.0 version until now, when I get a popup screen saying my subscription ends soon (even though it doesn't expire in 3 months). But at the bottom it has the option to click "install" for the new version. If i do that, will it install ok over the 4.8 version or will it cause problems without first uninstalling 4.8?  Thanks

YoKenny

Re: should I click "install"?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 09:08:32 PM »
V5 is very good and very soon V5.1 will be available.

Please go to PROFILE then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 09:30:35 PM »
I have avast free 4.8 and never did get notice of the new 5.0 version until now, when I get a popup screen saying my subscription ends soon (even though it doesn't expire in 3 months). But at the bottom it has the option to click "install" for the new version. If i do that, will it install ok over the 4.8 version or will it cause problems without first uninstalling 4.8?  Thanks
Click it. If it doesn't install as it should then use the avast uninstall utility to uninstall 4.8 and 5.0 and perform a clean install. It it doesn't install correctly then this would be further proof that the uninstall utility needs to be run before installation. You will have greater success starting from scratch. I have seen posts by users with problems trying to install over the top. I don't know why they would give you the option to install over 4.8 if it wasn't intended to work correctly. Maybe Avast! should take a hard look at this and include the uninstaller with the installation package. However, I prefer a fresh installation.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:13:22 PM by Charyb »

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »
However, I prefer a fresh installation.
+1

Sometimes it´s not possible to uninstall avast! the standard way - using the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in control panel. In this case, you can use our uninstallation utility aswClear.
http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 03:30:09 AM »
I would urge you to "uninstall" 4.8 and upgrade by downloading and installing 5.0. avast 5.0 offers better protection than 4.8 and a lot more protection than AVG 2011 Free and Avira. Get 5.0 and you won't be disappointed. Hope this helps.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.