Author Topic: boot time scan blue screen, win2k  (Read 2707 times)

dustpan

boot time scan blue screen, win2k
« on: December 14, 2010, 06:36:23 AM »
Hello, I have a computer that is running windows 2000 sp4. The computer has the conficker worm on it. It is also connected to a domain with about 30 computers. This pc is used to control a CNC machine, and it is extremely slow due to the virus.

So, I started the computer up in safe mode without networking, as the local admin. When I start avast the memory test begins. During the memory test a virus is detected, when I click the "move to chest" button the prompt disappears, but a few seconds later I get a prompt that tells me this action didn't work. Next Avast asks me if I would like to setup a boot time scan.... I click yes, and the system restarts. After the boot scan starts I get the blue screen. I have gotten 4 blue screens so far.

After getting 4 blue screens I went back into safe mode and started avast. I skipped the memory test, and went straight to a thorough scan of the hard drive... viruses are found, but once again they cannot be removed. I am out of ideas, please help.

This computer is used to interface with a CNC machine. I am pretty sure (not positive) that the pc doesn't connect to the CNC until after windows has finished loading. The only software I am aware of that interfaces with the cnc is loaded at start up. The pc is specialized for it's job, and it is also very old. The only input device the computer has(besides keyboard and mouse) is a 1.44mb floppy drive, I can't find a usb drive.

There are no other anti virus programs on the pc. The programs installed on this computer are limited to a few windows updates, Avast! Antivirus (managed), 2 programs for the CNC control, and a program for the domain.

here are some specs I found:

win2k sp4
x86 family 5 model 8 stepping
AT/AT compatable
65,076 kb ram

Thank you so much for your help,
Dustpan

yongsua

Re: boot time scan blue screen, win2k
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »
Maybe essexboy can help you out,he is expert malware fighter.I only can suggest you to download malwarebytes anti malware,update and scan.You may also post the log here if any virus found.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:50:16 AM by yongsua »

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »
Check the information on the first post of this thread under Virus/Worms for you to check your machine for malware: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

Follow the directions of obtaining an MBAM log (make sure you update MBAM first to version 1.50, then update the definitions next) and the OTL logs (save them as ANSI and not Unicode).  When the OTL scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt.  Post the MBAM log here (copy and paste) and the two (2) OTL log as an attachment (Additional Options > Attach > Browse (the logs will be on your desktop > Post).  We will then review your logs.  Thank you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:48:39 PM »
I am afraid that 64MB of memory simply isn't enough for the boot-time scan to run correctly.  :(

SafeSurf

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:18:16 AM »
Well dustpan, I guess it's time for a new or used machine with more memory than what you currently have.  If you get a used one, make sure it is clean or we can help you with that.  Sorry we couldn't help you more.  :'(