Author Topic: Respawning viruses not recognized by Avast bootscan or Malware Bytes  (Read 3630 times)

frustrated83

Hi,

I run Windows XP on my desktop, and run Norton Antivirus regularly. I install Avast! and use its bootscan when I think there is something hiding on my desktop that Norton can't find. I also use Malware Bytes, and in the past it has been pretty effective at finding things both of these other methods can't. Recently, I've had a problem with a respawning virus. For the past three days I think I've been infected with some kind of virus that spawns in different names, using Java as a way to copy itself (I've heard Java is liable to be infected and is a security risk?), as well as generally respawning each time I reboot and Norton catches it; one was called FakeAlert or FakeTrojanAlert, and others were mostly random letters and numbers. An Avast bootscan found a few of these copies of the virus, and later gave me the message about how a few suspicious files were found that heuristically are viruses and can they be submitted online. I resorted to using MB but after it was finding no viruses, and ran it in safemode; it found no viruses. I remember when I had a similar problem, I think I turned off System Restore, but I don't know if that's a good idea using safemode. Can anyone guide me through a way to get rid of this virus?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 05:51:30 AM by frustrated83 »

CharleyO

Re: Respawning viruses not recognized by Avast bootscan or Malware Bytes
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 06:38:56 AM »

Welcome to the forums, frustrated83   :)

You can not have 2 av's on your computer at the same time as this will cause problems and unexpected results even if one of them is disabled.

Norton has to be fully uninstalled before installing avast and vice-versa.

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 06:47:23 AM »

CharleyO is correct, this setup could breed false positives, or even make you more vulnerable to infection, not less.

frustrated83

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 07:27:48 AM »
I have a dilemma with this: I'd rather be using Avast, but unfortunately Norton took another payment automatically this year, so it'd be a real waste of money uninstalling Norton. Either way, there were viruses found even before I installed Avast, and the only read I did was to use the bootscan because it's more reliable.

Just a thought: After Avast is uninstalled, what happens to any files in the chest?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:32:35 AM by frustrated83 »

CharleyO

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 07:51:30 AM »

Any files in the Virus Chest when avast is uninstalled are deleted and gone forever.