Author Topic: Virus Guard powered by BitDefender  (Read 14214 times)

Offline HPY

• hpy
Re: Virus Guard powered by BitDefender
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
Yes i tried it of course. Like i said, totally useless, the scanner is slow, the update definitions process takes forever and it produces plenty of FP's. And again, it does not have any cleaning capabilities whatsoever so i really can't see the logic behind it's name Virus Guard, implying it's some sort of a resident shield which it clearly isn't.

Thanks. This is the sort of info I was looking for. Anyone else tried it? - It sounds like a 'waste of space'.
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -
Avast free. Windows Defender. Malwarebytes free scan.

Offline HPY

• hpy
Re: Sounds a lot like a scam to me though. BitDefender i powered by BitDefender
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 10:02:31 AM »
Obviously since Avast monitors utorrent with its P2P scanner
Slightly off-topic, but I thought Avast! P2P shield does not play nice with Utorrent, that is why it was unchecked by default, so out of curiosity, do you use it without any problems?

I renewed my subscription to Avast last November, and did not alter P2P Expert Settings. When I joined Avast a year ago I cannot recall whether all programs listed under Expert Settings were checked by default. Are they?

But in reply to your question I don't know the answer to that either!
Anyway I would assume that Utorrent would not appear on the Expert Settings list if Avast had thought that it "did not play well".
windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.195) 64 bit home - ACER Aspire 17 SSD  Processor Pentium CPU N4200 @ 1.10 GHz. - HD graphics - 4GB RAM -

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 10:32:38 AM »
uTorrent is unchecked by default in the P2P shield and i wouldn't recommend enabling it. More info on that:

Some more info on the uTorrent issue.

Quote from: Vlk
This is by design. Basically, µTorrent scanning in avast is suboptimal and we decided to turn it off by default (this applies to both Normal and High sensitivity levels). To be more specific, if µTorrent scanning is on, and you're using uTorrent to download large files, ashServ.exe will hog your CPU. This is because uTorrent closes/reopens the target file after transmitting every chunk, forcing avast to keep rescanning it periodically.

That's right, we have removed uTorrent from the default settings as we're unable to efficiently cover it and still prevent the CPU usage spikes (that take place when downloading especially large files).

Cheers
Vlk

It really depends on what you're downloading. uTorrent keeps closing/reopening the files in transit, and on each such occasion, avast rescans them. If the files are huge it can take a long time.

Thanks
Vlk
<snip>

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:43:16 AM by Darth.Mikey »

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 10:58:13 AM »
Thanks Darth.Mikey!

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 11:49:39 AM »
Darth.Mickey

I have just unchecked Utorrent.

Having downloaded and installed it, I tried it out allowing several GBs of audio/video files to be downloaded.
Then I did an Avast scan by right-clicking on Downloads.

The result was about 50 files listed as “could not be scanned” - “error: Archive is pass”...(word protected presumably) Recommendation – Move To Chest.
I have taken no action as it may not be advisable to Move all these dlls, avs, and etc. to Chest if the idea is to watch the films!!

Could this also mean that when P2P for Utorrent is switched on it does not open these Archives – there is no reason to think that it would using the same software as the Download Scan mentioned.

So having it on is useless anyway?

By not Moving them to Chest, could it mean that I am harbouring a load of pass-protected Archives full of nasties?

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 01:17:56 PM »
It just means that those archives were password protected and could not be unpacked by avast!(since it doesn't know the archive password). It's no problem, even if there is a nasty inside, it's still inside an archive and is thus inert, it cannot run yet, needs to be unpacked first and even then you need to run that file so by that point it's the File System Shield that will pick up the infection. Hope that makes it clear.  :)

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 01:30:23 PM »
Yessir! :D

Offline HPY

• hpy
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 05:05:10 PM »
I have just had a read of other threads, which I should do more often.

The one about AVG made me think just how lucky we are to have Avast for free.

I started with AVG in 2000 as a total internet-illiterate.
I had started work that year as an online editor/writer for a European tri-lingual entertainment website initially for my ability as a techical translator (target language always my mother tongue - English).
As I was able to do a lot of this at home I had to get some protection, and in those days AVG/Grisoft did the job.
At some point around 2004 the trouble started with  FPs and I switched to Avira free which was a great improvement, although I would have gone to Avast but was initially put off by the "media player" layout even though CNET etc. held that Avast and Avira were equally effective. I finally switched to Avast when I saw that by doing away with the "media player" layout, you could get a far cleaner overview of events and settings than Avira provided.

Now I see that Avast has overtaken Avira in popularity as freeware. It looks like AVG will be displaced from CNET's No. 1 rating world wide by your product.

Well done!

An appreciative private user.