Author Topic: Help! How to remove Security Shield  (Read 6425 times)

GoshS

Help! How to remove Security Shield
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:30:49 PM »
I'm an Avast subscriber, but I somehow got infected with Security Shield - rogue spyware creating pop-ups and potential security issues.  How do I remove it?  I have been unable to send an e-mail to Avast technical support to request help with the problem.

Offline bstock

Re: Help! How to remove Security Shield
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:50:10 PM »
Acer Aspire 5742Z / Pentium P6100 2GHz / 4GB Ram / 500GB HDD / Windows 7 Home Premium / Avast!Internet Security 7.0.1456 / SUPER AntiSpyware Professional / Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free /Firefox 14.0.1/ IE9 / Mozilla Thunderbird 14.1 / TrueCrypt

GoshS

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:09:57 PM »
Thanks!  But I don't understand why I need to download additional software to take care of the problem.  Isn't Avast supposed to be doing this?  More importantly, isn't this what Security Shield was asking me to do?  How do I know which anti-spyware to trust?  There are others on the internet offering similar solutions.

When I try to send a message to Avast for tech support, I am told that I don't have permission to do so.  I don't know what that is about either or how to remedy the problem.  Do I need to upgrade my service?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:13:21 PM »
Hi - malware writers have the advantage of the antivirus labs.  They know what the antivirus does and how it works, so they can continually change the programme to avoid detection - it is the same for all antivirus providers

I can work with you on this if you wish, I only use programmes that are clean and I know the authors  ;D

Download OTL  to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
Userinit.exe
svchost.exe
/md5stop
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Post both logs