Author Topic: FIrewall  (Read 3045 times)

dpnaugle

FIrewall
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:04:47 PM »
I made some changes to my firewall application rules and can only access the internet from the Home-Low Risk Zone. When previously i could access from both the Medium risk and High risk zones.

Is there a way to reset the app rules to a previous setting?

I don;t have much experience with firewalls and really don;t know if my system is secure or not. Ultimately I would like to know that I am protected.

I am running Avast Internet security 5.1.889
Thanks

DN

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: FIrewall
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:08:29 PM »
Go to firewall settings-> expert settings and select auto-decide.
Delete the rule for the application that you are having problems with. then re-run the application and Avast will re-create the rule automatically.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:15:01 PM by Charyb »

dpnaugle

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:37:29 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I see the auto-decide option but I am unsure which rule is causing the problem.

I assume you are referring to the "Packet Rules". There are several rules listed.

I guess I am still a little stuck.

DN

MAG

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 11:48:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I see the auto-decide option but I am unsure which rule is causing the problem.

I assume you are referring to the "Packet Rules". There are several rules listed.

I guess I am still a little stuck.

DN
It's a while since I had avast firewall, but I don't think you need to go into packet rules at all.

The simplest thing might just be to disconnect from internet, go to control panel, add/remove programs, select ais - uninstall - change, and then remove the firewall component.

Reboot then go through the same process  and reinstall the firewall, reboot, and all should hopefully be back to original state.

dpnaugle

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
Still not sure if my system is protected while in the home setting. I have been unable to figure out how to reset to a default setting to allow internet access while in the "work" default mode.

Currently the only way I can access is through the home setting.

Becoming a little frustrated with avast.

Avast Internet security 5.1.889

DN

MAG

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:00:39 PM »
Are you saying that you tried uninstalling and re-installing he firewall component as suggested, and it has made no difference?

I would have expected this to have cleared all the rules/settings that you said you were worried you might have changed, and returned to firwall to default state (but as I said it's a while since I had the firewall, so I can't check this out).

(If it was actually firewall expert settings, rather than application rules, that you had altered then I guess avast might have remembered your settings and just reapplied them on firewall re-install.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 07:05:59 PM by mag »