Author Topic: Avast [scan error: 200] , Need scan error number to textual descriptions  (Read 9480 times)

REDACTED

During a scan of my mailbox & home directory using the command line (*),  I received in the logfile the subject matter message for Serveral files .  So I began searching this forum I found an OLD (2008) set of numeric to message list ,  but it stops at 120 (or so) .

(*)Command line used:
avast -c -t A /var/spool/mail/jiml /home/jiml 2>&1 | egrep -v '\[OK\]' > /home/jiml/avast-scan-201103031658.log &

Would someone please shed some light on the numeric codes meaning ?
Or suggest a command line that will insert the appropriate 'Textual message' belonging to that numeric code ?
Or Better yet post a listing of all Numeric codes to Textual description .

Tia ,  JimL
ps: Ooops ,  this is using the (Supposedly most recent) of avast4workstation-1.3.0 .
pps: Tho I did find a suggestion of a url for a 1.4.0 ,  That I was able to get from ...
http://public.avast.com/~cimbal/linuxedition/avast4workstation-1.4.0.tar.gz
But not from  ...
http://www.avast.com/linux-home-edition#tab4
Which only has the 1.3.0 .
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:24:45 PM by jiml@systech »

REDACTED

Sorry to be replying to myself .

Was very much looking forward to seeing someone who had some knowledge of the internals of the Avast4Workstation(linux) would put up a list of 'Scan error: code with brief (or even a paragraph) description of the error's meaning .  For Everyones information the scan error: 200 continues under 1.4.0 on linux .

Am also quite disappointed in the lack of response to 'Nucleus's "Avast for Linux Server..." at <http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72916.0>

While most of the replies from the moderators & participants are quite timely & accurate .  My Question & Nucleus's are of interest & due some response(s) .  I find His question quite intriguing to me as well .  As i hope to be opening a Linux based business & am quite happy as a home only user of Avast(Free) at the moment .

Tia ,  JimL

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Sorry to be replying to myself .

Was very much looking forward to seeing someone who had some knowledge of the internals of the Avast4Workstation(linux) would put up a list of 'Scan error: code with brief (or even a paragraph) description of the error's meaning .  For Everyones information the scan error: 200 continues under 1.4.0 on linux .

Am also quite disappointed in the lack of response to 'Nucleus's "Avast for Linux Server..." at <http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72916.0>

While most of the replies from the moderators & participants are quite timely & accurate .  My Question & Nucleus's are of interest & due some response(s) .  I find His question quite intriguing to me as well .  As i hope to be opening a Linux based business & am quite happy as a home only user of Avast(Free) at the moment .

Tia ,  JimL

Hallo,
this is technically quite complicated problem - this error comes from the *.cab extractor, which mistakenly thinks that some internal parts of office documents contain CAB-like sub-parts. So, the OLE unpacker is the primary cause, and over-senstitive CAB-unpacker the secondary one. Turning off each of them would solve the problem (neither of them is used too often for malware spreading), or just live with this 42200 error.

So, error 200 = Corrupted CAB header - but, in the fact, it means that some usually cab-unrelated data were processed as CAB with this result. So, nothing to worry about.

Regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

REDACTED

Hello  PC ,  Thank you .  Fmi ,  Is there a way I can locally using the binaries & libraries have dug this particular error out myself ?

Oops ,  Just went to find the Linux Server at the main avast page & all it showes is a Windows' version of avast ?  Where or how can I acquire information about the Linux Server version like the Software cost & support costs ?

Tia ,  JimL
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:34:50 PM by jiml@systech »

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Hello  PC ,  Thank you .  Fmi ,  Is there a way I can locally using the binaries & libraries have dug this particular error out myself ?

Oops ,  Just went to find the Linux Server at the main avast page & all it showes is a Windows' version of avast ?  Where or how can I acquire information about the Linux Server version like the Software cost & support costs ?

Tia ,  JimL

Hallo,
nope, this error is burried deeply in the depacking code, and isn't even in the avast's external error-base. We'll do our best to supress it (because, user can do nothing anyway with this, regardless on the fact whether it's real corrupted header or this usual case with unrelate data depack attempt:).
regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)