Author Topic: Avast automatic open-file scan obstructs the opening of Word 2007  (Read 8071 times)

Offline Robert333

Hello,

I attempted to obtain a help ticket for this issue at the Avast web site, but although a page was displayed confirming my query had been successfully submitted, no help ticket number was allotted and also I have not received any acknowledgement by email.
I therefore I thought should post my query here, as follows:

I have an Asus Netbook running "Windows 7 Starter" with "Avast! 6 Free" antivirus and "Microsoft Word 2007".

When I go into Windows Explorer and seek to open a Word document, Word 2007 often, but not always, fails to open.
The message eventually displayed is that the command was not successfully sent to the program.
Sometimes, a second attempt is successful, but on other occasions subsequent attempts are unsuccessful. When this repeated failure occurs, I can open the Word document and start Word 2007 only by opting to switch off Avast Shields for 10 minutes.

My impression is therefore that unfortunately the Avast! automatic open-file scan procedure, is obstructing the opening of Word 2007 documents from within Windows Explorer.
This issue does not appear to affect the opening of files from within Word 2007 itself, nor does it affect opening Word 2007 as a blank document.

Is this a known issue, and if so, is there a solution?

Regards,

Robert333

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast automatic open-file scan obstructs the opening of Word 2007
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:47:48 PM »
What version of avast are you using, 6.0.1000 ?

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

My problem is the inconsistency of it, often, but not always, so I'm thinking conflict probably with another security application, hence the above question.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:49:32 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:39:44 AM »
If it happens again, disable the shields one at a time to see if you can find out what shield may causing this.

Have you tried a repair of office?
Have you tried a repair of avast?

doktornotor

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
Does this help?

Offline Robert333

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »
Please see below for my replies to all messages so far:

Hello DavidR,

The Avast! Free version is 6.0.1000.

The Netbook came bundled with "Trend Micro" which I uninstalled successfully from Control Panel "Programs and Features", before installing "Avast! Free Antivirus" and "ZoneAlarm Free Firewall".
The only other security application running in memory is "Windows Defender". Other than this, I have "Spybot Search & Destroy" and "SpywareBlaster" which do not run in memory.

Hello Eddy,

If you open Avast! and look at "Real Time Shields" there is only one Shield which ought to affect this situation, which is "File System Shield". No doubt the issue would disappear if I were to disable its option: "Scan documents when opening", or disable the more specific options from its "Expert Settings" button, but of course I would prefer to not lose this function.

"Microsoft Office" appears to work without any other issue and as I have already indicated the problem appears to source from "Avast!".
"Avast!" also, appart from this problem, appears to be working normally.
Therefore I am reluctant to do a repair for either of these, in case this causes more problems, instead removing this issue!

Hello doktornotor,

Thanks for the image, but I would rather not turn off this function, if this issue can be solved some other way.

I am wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem, and whether perhaps it is a bug in the Avast! software that Avast may need to consider correcting.

Thanks and regards to all,

Robert333

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:08:02 PM by Robert333 »

doktornotor

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:07:42 PM »
Thanks for the image, but I would rather not turn off this function, if this issue can be solved some other way.

I am asking whether it does help or not since obviously we need to find the cause of the problem - not to turn it off permanently.

Offline Robert333

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 06:20:36 PM »
Hello doktornotor,

Thanks for your further reply.

I understand what you say. However, I believe I have already established the cause of the problem, because, as explained, when I try to open a word document in Windows Explorer, Word sometimes simply will not open until after I have disabled Avast! Shields for 10 minutes. Also, I understand that the file and application opening scan, is the only Avast function likely to be affecting this.

Regards,

Robert333

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 06:31:44 PM »
@ Robert333
It might be worth running their removal tool to ensure all remnants are gone:
- Remove Trend Micro's AV/IS products, etc., see How to uninstall my Trend Micro program using the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit. Remnants of previous AVs could have hooks to intercept files for scanning, which could conflict.

ZoneAlarm has had some issues with avast in the past and there are fixes relating to ZA in the pre-release version of avast 6.0.1027 (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=73657.0), but that was meant to relate to XP not win7. So I don't know if it might be worth a try.

I haven't been a fan of ZA for some time, I feel there are better firewalls out there, but one thing I don't know what comes bundled with the free version now. If there is an anti-virus or anti-spyware module then these should be uninstalled.

The same is true of Spybot S&D (tired and not keeping pace with malware developments) and more so if you use Tea-timer as that has been seen to conflict with avast in the forums. I would suggest replacing this with either MBAM or SAS, both have free options that are on-demand only. There are paid options of both that provide resident protection, but it is a case of if you go down that road only one resident anti-spy/malware application.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

doktornotor

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »
Also, I understand that the file and application opening scan, is the only Avast function likely to be affecting this.

You know, it takes about 10 seconds to check and know for sure instead of guessing and "likely". Other than that, see above wrt ZoneAlarm compatibility. Spybot S&D - well I guess avast! should just start doing what most others do and refuse to install when it finds Spybot.

Offline Robert333

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 02:30:40 AM »
Hello DavidR,

In Windows ‘Task Manager’, there are no “Applications”, “Processes”, or “Services” running which can be identified with the old “Trend Micro”, however there are indeed trances of it within the Registry.

I would be happy to run the ‘Trend Micro diagnostic utility’ that you link (the uninstaller), but unfortunately there is another problem on this system that a number people with Windows 7 have at the moment, which is that ‘System Restore’ can no longer be used to restore to any restore point at least not without great difficulty. The current advice from ‘Microsoft Answers’ forums seems to be to either uninstall your antivirus software or try running System Restore from the Windows 7 installation CD. Frankly in these circumstances, I am not happy to try the ‘Trend Micro uninstaller’ with ‘System Restore’ currently compromised. Please take a look at my message about this at:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/unable-to-restore-to-any-restore-point-when-will/df4327ca-7c4a-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5?tm=1299696581956

Also, the version of Trend Micro was an OEM Trial with no “year” indicated, and which is not mentioned (at the link you provided) as being one of the versions covered by the diagnostic utility.

I would be interested to know what the people at ‘Avast! think about the ‘Microsoft Answers forum’ advice that we should be uninstalling our security software in order to be able to successfully use the Windows 7 ‘System Restore’ restore points.

I will certainly consider the whole of your message further. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply to me, which is much appreciated.

Regards,

Robert333

Offline Robert333

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 02:40:56 AM »
Hello doktornotor,

Thanks for your further reply. As I mentioned in my original message, the issue occurs intermittently. You make a fair point, but if I disable the function in question and the problem does not reoccur, it will confirm what I already knew. Also, I would prefer to see a correction to this issue rather than disable the function, merely as a workaround.

Regarding “Spybot Search & Destroy”, I have not heard of any issues regarding this application. It does not reside in memory. I understand that it merely adds entries to installed web browsers to block malware from installing. I know of no recommended applications that refuse to install, when finding this application installed.

(By the way, I do not have Spybot’s “Teatimer” utility activated.)

Many thanks for your responses which have been sincerely appreciated.

Regards,

Robert333
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 02:47:48 AM by Robert333 »

doktornotor

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 06:06:31 AM »
Regarding “Spybot Search & Destroy”, I have not heard of any issues regarding this application. It does not reside in memory. I understand that it merely adds entries to installed web browsers to block malware from installing. I know of no recommended applications that refuse to install, when finding this application installed.

This and other forums are full of Spybot compatibility issues (not limited to TeaTimer). Just do a search for Spybot here or Google it. Kaspersky forced you to remove Spybot, Symantec (Norton) did the same. The Spybot guys have been busy with legal threats instead of working on their broken code and meanwhile they have completely missed the antimalware train. Spybot S&D simply does not add any significant additional protection these days, nor is really useful when it comes to malware removal. She´s dead, move on.

Wrt System Restore - having leftover drivers from old uninstalled AVs will simply cause issues. There are decent and way more complete solutions, have a look at http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm, I never found System Restore to be working well.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:09:00 AM by doktornotor »

Offline Robert333

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
Hello doktornotor,

Thanks for the information regarding “Spybot Search & Destroy”. You rightly corrected me regarding recommended applications that do require its removal.

The problem is that there could be a competitive element here rather than any real issue between SS&D and these other security products. Symantec produce good products, but understandably like any company they also seek to dominate where they can. For instance, there used to be an excellent system-revert application called “GoBack” by Roxio. Symantec bought this product, which I understand is now “well-buried” within its “Norton360” product.
“GoBack” would have been an excellent alternative to “System Restore”, but no doubt it constituted a competitor to Symantec’s “Norton Ghost”.

But, as you rightly say, applications may get out of date, and I intend to take a look at the other applications you mentioned in your earlier message and at the drive-imaging link you put.

Thanks for your very interesting response.

Regards,
Robert333