Author Topic: AVAST Unsecured after upgrade  (Read 5258 times)

DarkWeetus

AVAST Unsecured after upgrade
« on: December 19, 2011, 06:17:22 AM »
I recently upgraded my AVAST from the free version to the Pro version on Windows7 64bit. 
I received the activation email and licence which I activated.  Everything worked fine for a few days then I booted my system and it came up with the Unsecured warning.  I click the Fix Now button but it doesn't do anything.  I cant update or do anything. 

I have always had AVAST free version and I have been running it with Malwarebyte's Anti Malware and  never had a problem until I PAID for the Pro version. 

I have tried restarting the system several times.
System restore
Updating

Is my only option to uninstall/reinstall

System
Pentium (R) Duel-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.5 GHz 2.5 GHz
2 GB Ram
Windows 7 Home edition 64-bit Operating System
Azus motherboard

ady4um

Re: AVAST Unsecured after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 06:59:19 AM »
Delete your firewall rules that are related to avast. Then reboot.

Since you applied System Restore, and there are situations where avast turns to be less than perfect after that, then after the above reboot you should try a repair of avast and reboot again.

Please report back.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 07:56:58 AM »
For a repair of avast.

Windows, Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button from the pop-up window, scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

DarkWeetus

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:27:48 PM »
Delete your firewall rules that are related to avast. Then reboot.

I wasn't sure if you meant the Firewall Rules in AVAST! or Windows Firewall.  First I tried the repair in Add/Remove twice, to no response. Then I tried changing the onboard settings and windows settings in control panel.
Interesting thing though, in the Windows Firewall under the Action centre tab at the top Security it says Avast is turned off.  When I click on 'Turn on now' it comes up with an error File System Shield provider not found. 
Also 'Network firewall (Important) is turned off and when i try to turn it on it says Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x8007042c.

The more I look, the more I think that its a system problem and not the program. 
Im ready to just format my whole system.

Thanks for the speedy response and advise.  Once everything is formatted and back up and running Im pretty sure avast will run no worries

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 06:13:32 PM »
First, after a repair of fix, reboot. Only *then* test the results.

You could download the latest stable AIS and run the installation (right click -> run as administrator). Once the installation finishes, reboot.

This should repair the current shields not working, at least in most cases.

About the firewall rules, I meant ALL firewalls, both of avast and Windows, even if they are set to be off. After the reboot, when avast tries to update, the rules should be re-created. If this is not enough, there are additional checks possible before getting to more drastic actions.

In any case, please report back.

DiabolicVenom

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:02:06 PM »
i've got the same thing i guess, but i approved an update (service pack 3 and java-update), i aborted the sp3 and since my pc started acting weird, every video/game/graphic/... i try to open my screen starts blinking for a wile and nothing i do can turn it of or restore it, have to wait or restart every time. also every shield, security etc is turned off and how many times i press activate it won't do shit. tried al sorts of recovery tools, repair tools, even 100 times system recovery, and safe mode doesn't even works... i'm desperate and i don't wanna apply format c: (that's the last thing on my mind)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:04:47 PM »
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DarkWeetus

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 12:17:35 AM »
In any case, please report back.

Ok I tried everything you said.  My Windows Firewall isn't even on at the moment and wont turn on. Me thinks there is already malware at work blocking it. I even tried going into Msconfig through RUN and restarting it but still get errors!

On a brighter note, instead of a full format, I did a CLEAN install of the Free Avast, and re pasted my licence in the registration section.  Which instantly upgraded my program back to PRO. After the install and a system reboot to finish, everything (Avast wise) is running 100% again.  Instantly I began getting a warning about a threat on my system.
C:/windows32/system/svchost.exe
Clearly I have a malware problem.  Avast will find and destroy the file but that renders Windows 7 inoperable as it has attached itself to a system file.  I then need to do a system restore to get Windows working again to before I ran the scan to track down the Malware... Hence I think this has been the problem from the beginning.

So clearly I have alot more work to do but Avast is running again and is my only defence right now!
Thanks for your help ady4um I was getting a bit frustrated but stuck with it.

DiabolicVenom
?? Doesn't sound good champ.  Try reinstall windows onto a different partition (if you have one) and uninstall/delete files from that start up
Best of luck