Author Topic: Can't boot PC  (Read 2907 times)

Laura K

Can't boot PC
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:54:02 PM »
Hey there,

If this problem has been resolved in another post and I missed it I apologize, and please just direct me to the post...

I walked away from my pc and when i returned there were multiple avast messages on the screen about viruses that avast had blocked and the final one said in order for avast to secure my pc i needed to reboot... which i did.. which i totally regret.

I just get a blank screen with a blinking cursor, f8 does not work, f12 does, but when i select 1 it does not proceed...

Thanks for any help...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can't boot PC
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »
What version of avast are you using ?

Are you using a) windows XP and b) a USB keyboard ?

What is this '1' mean "when I select 1 it doesn't proceed" ?

What happens when you use the Power button to switch off the system and then power back on ?

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Raveen Kool

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 05:40:20 PM »
try delete key at the start up....

Laura K

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 05:51:22 PM »
What version of avast are you using ?

Are you using a) windows XP and b) a USB keyboard ?

What is this '1' mean "when I select 1 it doesn't proceed" ?

What happens when you use the Power button to switch off the system and then power back on ?

I am not sure what version of avast I am using as I can't get in to look - it is the free version and with the last few months I got an email from avast to update which i did.

Yes Windows XP and wired keyboard.

Sorry was using term reboot, but actually mean i am powering computer on and off.

pressing F12 at start brings up a boot device menu.. option 1 is Normal when i pick that.. the computer does nothing...

I tried pressing the delete key on Start up... it did nothing...

Thanks...

Dieselman

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
Keep trying keys. Start at F1 and go down the line.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 06:44:59 PM »
Quote from: Laura K
Yes Windows XP and wired keyboard.

Well a wired keyboard could be either USB (same connection as USB flash disks) or PS2 (round 9pin din connection) and in XP there is a problem using USB keyboards before windows starts as drivers aren't loaded. If the F12 key works in theory the others should work. So that may not be the problem.

Is there no safe mode option when you get the F12 boot device options, though this may only be boot device order and 1 being the hard disk.

Some systems do use the delete key instead of the F8 key to boot into safe mode, so as Raveen Kool suggested try that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Raveen Kool

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:57:10 AM »
I walked away from my pc and when i returned there were multiple avast messages on the screen about viruses that avast had blocked and the final one said in order for avast to secure my pc i needed to reboot... which i did.. which i totally regret.

I just get a blank screen with a blinking cursor, f8 does not work, f12 does, but when i select 1 it does not proceed...

You said Avast had blocked.. Do you mean avast has blocked a threat...?

If it is a virus is causing then scan your pc with a bootable antivirus rescue cd....

yongsua

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:54:33 AM »
If it is a virus is causing then scan your pc with a bootable antivirus rescue cd....

I would like to recommend you Bitdefender and Avira rescue disk.