Author Topic: Returning to Avast on 2 Systems  (Read 2802 times)

bikemanAMD

Returning to Avast on 2 Systems
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:49:48 PM »
Hi All

Preparing to Return to Avast Free on 2 Systems, but before i fully do, what is the proper way to remove previous security software,  (Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.657.0)    Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP 32 bit system,  Just add/remove programs, and remove folders and such?    or is there more advanced removal to do?

Just want my programs to run great, second life to work well, and so on.   If anyone could give some advice or knowledge would greatly appreciate it

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Returning to Avast on 2 Systems
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:02:02 PM »
Download the new version of avast first and save the remove MSE via add remove programs and reboot, run ccleaner and install new avast copy then go to here http://uninstallers.blogspot.com/ and find the MSE removal tool and run it, you might still need to look though programs and program data just to see if there was anything missed.

bikemanAMD

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »
Thank you so much, will get that done, and should be all set!!

DarkMasters

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
I have tried the newest MSE and you can uninstall it cleanly through windows normal procedure. It leaves no junk in your registry, though like what craigb says it does leave it's log file inside program data folder which are safe to delete. I mean there's no need to use third party uninstaller if standard Windows uninstallation procedures is sufficient enough for this.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:08:33 AM »
I have tried the newest MSE and you can uninstall it cleanly through windows normal procedure. It leaves no junk in your registry, though like what craigb says it does leave it's log file inside program data folder which are safe to delete. I mean there's no need to use third party uninstaller if standard Windows uninstallation procedures is sufficient enough for this.
Who mentioned anything about a third party removal tool? The MSE removal tool that i mentioned to run after the uninstall is not a third party tool, it is the current version of the fixit tool by microsoft to remove leftovers of MSE.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:13:09 AM by craigb »

DarkMasters

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:59:44 AM »
@craigb : I check it and you're right that it's Microsoft Fixit tool. Though, still the nature purpose of the tool is simply to be run in case you've gone into some uninstallation trouble.

My point is, if you're able to uninstall MSE by normal procedure then it should be just fine since standard uninstallation procedure leaves no junk/orphan keys in your registry and no junk dll either.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:30:52 AM »
@craigb : I check it and you're right that it's Microsoft Fixit tool. Though, still the nature purpose of the tool is simply to be run in case you've gone into some uninstallation trouble.

My point is, if you're able to uninstall MSE by normal procedure then it should be just fine since standard uninstallation procedure leaves no junk/orphan keys in your registry and no junk dll either.
Generally yes that is what removal tools are for, to be run in safe mode for removal of stubborn programs but can also be used to clean up leftovers.  Iv used MSE 2 and it does leave remnants all though the computer, check program data, the roaming file, numerus microsoft files and in the registry - software keys and software/microsoft, so it does pay to run the tool for MSE just to be safe and still check through the system for anymore as should be done with any av or security product, the removal tool downloads are only a couple of hundred Kb and very quick to run so imo it is hassle free safe practice.

DarkMasters

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 01:22:48 AM »
Well, that's a different case with me, then. It leaves no junk registry entry and dll in my machine. I can say that for sure because I'm tracking any changes using registry snapshot comparison. It only leaves log file in program data folder and some empty folder in my user appdata folder. I guess your mileage may vary in this.