Author Topic: computer using updated avast getting infected  (Read 1284 times)

lusi83

computer using updated avast getting infected
« on: June 22, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »
This is my partner's (french) netbook. His avast was out of date...and firewall (windows) off..
Told me he had a problem when he got major problems with the xp security 2012 malware..and a host of other problems - I got help from another forum and it seemed to be clean.
He now has updated avast, firewall (windows) on....but was looking at free mp3 download sites...and downloaded something called iMESH...
turned his netbook on to find an icon looking like a slice of pizza called 'clean' on his desktop...he thinks it has been there since I gave it back to him after cleaning -sure it wasn't there when I turned it off...apparently he clicked on it and it disappeared...
Ran Malware bytes - found two viruses, then Superantispyware (found nothing) and then did a full Avast scan and it found something else - then Avast did a boot scan and found another...
I could understand one or 2 getting through but so many? Shouldn't Avast be blocking these? (Is it possible that something in the original infection is hiding in his avast and should I uninstall and reinstall it?)

Jtaylor83

Re: computer using updated avast getting infected
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »
What is the name of the infection?

iMesh is a P2P client software. Downloading files with P2P will infect your system files with a virus like Sality, Virut, and Parite. Though it claims to be spyware free, it's not. Critics on MyWOT have claimed that this software is spyware.

Red Rating for malware: http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/imesh.com

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:52:13 PM by Jtaylor83 »