Author Topic: Threat: Rootkit: system modification  (Read 2450 times)

Offline tgritt

Threat: Rootkit: system modification
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »
When running my avast antivirus on a thorough scan, it finds several High Severity threats identified as “Threat: Rootkit: system modification”.  It always recommends I repair the file, and the result says “Action postponed until the next reboot.”  At which time is always prompts me to run a boot-time scan which I do.  During the boot-time scan, these threats are not found.  However, upon re-running my thorough scan, it finds that these same threats remain.  I am at a loss as to how to remove these threats.  I’ve noticed my computer running slowly lately, so I know that these threats are real.  I just wish I knew how to get rid of them.  Why is it that the boot-time scan does not find these threats and the thorough scan finds it every time?  I’ve got the boot-time scan set to the highest sensitivity.  I’d appreciate any advice.  Also, it appears that most of these threats are all located in “C:\Windows\winsxs\” directory.  I am running Windows 7 and I am using the free version of Avast.  Help!
Please and thank you.

marlil1201

Re: Threat: Rootkit: system modification
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:47:48 PM »
Looks alot like my problem (rootkit) I am running windows XP.
Hope you get it fixed soon.  There are good suggestions in here.

Offline tgritt

Re: Threat: Rootkit: system modification
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:04:29 PM »
UPDATE:
I ran Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware Program on my computer.  It found several infect registry keys which it successfully quarantined and deleted.  I then ran Avast and targeted the specific file folder which most of my infections were located and it came up with no infections.  I will be running my normal scan and scan the entire computer to see if all situations have been fixed.  But at this point, it looks very hopeful.  I may consider purchasing the Malwarebyte's program and run it along with Avast, unless anyone has any better suggestions.