Author Topic: Using Avast free with Comodo made my computer crash  (Read 2663 times)

sirMAXX

Using Avast free with Comodo made my computer crash
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »
hi me again. so, what the eff? i installed comodo and first thing i noticed is that my computer slowed down.  it did tell me a few things about bit torrent trying to connect on start-up through comodos firewall so i decided to do a scan of my computer using comodo to see if it might detect anything. it slowed waaay down to where after a while my mouse pointer stared lagging all over the place. when that started happening i paused the scan to see if that made a difference and it didn't. so i right clicked on the desktop and my desktop stopped responding, it turned completely white.  i couldn't even pull up task manager.  i was not expecting this.  so i had to forceably power down the computer. when i tried to start windows normally it was slower than usual but when it got to the desktop i clicked on the start menu and it stopped responding again.  so i started in safe mode and had to do a system restore and here i am now. i am guessing comodo is the cause of it all. so what did i do wrong?  i got it from cnet download, i trust that site and i've seen other people use comodo before. to me it acted like a virus would, so should i not try it again?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:46:07 PM by sirMAXX »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Comodo made my computer crash
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »
i decided to do a scan of my computer using comodo to see if it might detect anything. it slowed waaay down to where after a while my mouse pointer stared lagging all over the place. when that started happening i paused the scan to see if that made a difference and it didn't.
Did you install Comodo antivirus side by side with avast?
Only Comodo antivirus? Then would be better ask for help on Comodo forum.
Both at the same time? Then both will conflict.
The best things in life are free.

sirMAXX

Re: Comodo made my computer crash
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:37:48 PM »
okay yeah i think that's what happened, i think comodo was running along side with avast. but man, talk about a conflict. i only keep avast as my active AV program and disable the other ones. but i guess i screwed up in this instance. hmm, well i did want a better firewall and an extra tool to add to my computer as a second opinion malware scanner like hitman pro. i have malwarebytes too, i use both when i think something might need to be checked.  i downloaded comodo because two of the features i wanted was killswitch and comodos firewall. but craigb told me for the layman to unintall comodo and just use avast with windows 7 firewall.  after the system restore all thats left of comodo is the install file, so it took care of that for me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Using Avast free with Comodo made my computer crash
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:29:57 PM »
Disable is not enough... services and drivers will conflict and you'll see what you've seen: crashes, freezes...
The best things in life are free.