Author Topic: Avast Found An Infection Please Help  (Read 3352 times)

Offline cheater87

Avast Found An Infection Please Help
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:04:04 AM »
The 1st one is a False positive, I've had that for a year or so. But the 2nd one under D:\ is new infection. Is this a False positive or what should I do? I just clicked "close" button since I don't want to put it inside the chest since I don't know if it's a FP or not. here's the link of the screen shot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/nami05/infectionavast.jpg
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Found An Infection Please Help
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 12:50:55 AM »
Well it isn't a false positive, it is a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program), which you elected to scan for. Its purpose is to KillIt (file process, etc.) as the name implies and avast can't determine intent or if it is unwanted or not, hence the alert since you asked to check for PUPs.

In that location, part of the HP recovery function and in that location, it isn't unwanted, but there by design.

I have no idea what your D:\ drive is and what is the purpose of the Preload folder ?

I don't know what base_10.inp (if that is an i not an l), can't tell in the image. However, a google search for base_10.inp seems to indicate it too may be related to HP and the recovery partition, http://www.google.com/search?q=base_10.inp.

####
You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here, post the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive. Now exclude that folder in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\*
That will stop the File System Shield scanning any file you put in that folder.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cheater87

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:58:20 AM »
Well it isn't a false positive, it is a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program), which you elected to scan for. Its purpose is to KillIt (file process, etc.) as the name implies and avast can't determine intent or if it is unwanted or not, hence the alert since you asked to check for PUPs.

In that location, part of the HP recovery function and in that location, it isn't unwanted, but there by design.

I have no idea what your D:\ drive is and what is the purpose of the Preload folder ?

I don't know what base_10.inp (if that is an i not an l), can't tell in the image. However, a google search for base_10.inp seems to indicate it too may be related to HP and the recovery partition, http://www.google.com/search?q=base_10.inp.

####
You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here, post the URL in the Address bar of the VT results page. You can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to extract it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive. Now exclude that folder in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\*

How do I exactly use virus total and how can I put in that detected file in there? I'm new to this.
I have Opera, WOT, K9 Web Protection, Avast Free web shield and Behavior blocker only, Comodo Internet Security 10, and common sense. ^_^

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:30:04 AM »
Follow the instructions in the post, first by creating the temporary folder, excluding it as I said and export the file from the chest.

To open the chest - AvastUI, Maintenance, Virus Chest, once open right click on the file and select Export, use the navigation window to select the c:\suspect folder you created and excluded.

To upload the file start by clicking on the Bold Blue text that is a link to VT, click on the Browse button, use the navigation window to select the file in the c:\suspect folder and upload it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

com155

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 06:05:46 AM »
i suggest u keep the file in the chest since it may make macious activity if allowed to be in open enviroment if u think its a fp send the file to avast!virus lab by going to virus chest right click on the file and select thew option of send to virus lab.they will ask u to fill in some details of the file and then it will be submited it on next automatic update.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
Sorry but that is rubbish.

The whole point of extracting it to a temporary location and not restoring it to the original location; the file isn't active and there is no associated registry entry for that temp location which could run it from that location.

If you confirm that it is an FP using VT then you have supporting evidence for when it is submitted as a false positive and you don't swamp the virus labs with detections which you don't know they are FPs or not.

Offline cheater87

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:39:51 PM »
How can I make a folder or file to cause an FP in Avast to practice with submitting?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »
How can I make a folder or file to cause an FP in Avast to practice with submitting?
already posted in DavidR first reply