Author Topic: Shield Scanning Questions/Comments About Last Update?  (Read 2081 times)

Jack 1000

Shield Scanning Questions/Comments About Last Update?
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:18:49 PM »
Sup All?

Vlk told us in the pinned up description for this latest version that Shield scanning is deeper and smarter.  It does seem to be maybe a tick or two slower on certain page elements, but not a big deal.  I notice that the Avast ball icon just moves a little less when scanning, and the page might take a little longer to load sometimes.

What is the Behavior shield doing in this instance that it could not do in the previous Avast 6 version?  I am on Windows XP (SP-3) using IE 8.

Jack

ady4um

Re: Shield Scanning Questions/Comments About Last Update?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »
Maybe the difference is related to:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=84334.msg686091#msg686091 :
There is currently a dependency between Script and Behavior Shields

and maybe that's why Vlk was so interested in DBone's explanation:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=84297.msg686431#msg686431.

Of course, I am just guessing.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:26:34 PM »
I'm afraid the exact explanation of the Behavior Shield changes would be rather technical (and I don't know myself what's changed) - but generally, new versions are able to monitor more events than the older ones, or to better connect those events to one another (i.e. to follow the chain of actions and track the real offender).

Jack 1000

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 03:19:50 AM »
I'm afraid the exact explanation of the Behavior Shield changes would be rather technical (and I don't know myself what's changed) - but generally, new versions are able to monitor more events than the older ones, or to better connect those events to one another (i.e. to follow the chain of actions and track the real offender).

Thanks Igor!

Jack