Author Topic: Connection problem with Skype  (Read 9741 times)

gill2610

Connection problem with Skype
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:17:12 AM »
Hi,

This is my first post so I apologise if its in the wrong place.

I have just got a new laptop and have loaded Avast Free, I have also downloaded Skpe, download was fine but it wont connect to the internet.

I am not a techy at all and wondered if someone on here might able to help.  I think its the firewall, although just a guess, I have looked at the firewall and Skype is ticked so does that mean its allowed?

I am running windows 7 pro, does that have its own firewall.  Sorry if this sounds stupid, but as I dont really understand any of it just trying to sort the problem.

If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Connection problem with Skype
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »
Have you and how did you remove the preinstalled AV before installing avast ?, you shouldn't have to touch any setting in avast or the windows firewall for Skype to work which is why im asking if you got rid of the preinstalled AV.

Please just stick to using the black text as some people find the colours hard to read.

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
Your text sounds like you are running two firewalls Windows 7--- plus

gill2610

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »
Have you and how did you remove the preinstalled AV before installing avast ?, you shouldn't have to touch any setting in avast or the windows firewall for Skype to work which is why im asking if you got rid of the preinstalled AV.

Please just stick to using the black text as some people find the colours hard to read.
Thanks for your reply.

I didnt remove the Norton AV on my laptop because I dont think it was installed as it keeps asking me to install and I have ignored it.  There does seem to be an icon, but I took it as I hadnt paid for it then it wasnt installed?  Is this where I have gone wrong?

gill2610

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:46:28 AM »
Your text sounds like you are running two firewalls Windows 7--- plus

Thanks for your reply, if there is an installed firewall with windows 7 Pro, which was pre installed on my laptop, and if Avast has a firewall as well, which I take it that it has, then I am.

I looked at firewall settings, but now not sure if they were for Avast or windows?

Could this be the problem?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 10:19:39 AM »
I looked at firewall settings, but now not sure if they were for Avast or windows?

Avast free doesn't include a firewall.
Which version of avast! is installed..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 10:28:11 AM »
Have a look in control panel windows firewall check to see if skype is listed & not blocked.
Gill is right Avast free doesn’t have a firewall. If this is what you did download.
What are you using to connect to the internet?

Right click skype icon properties & see if there is a compatibility for windows 7

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »
If you don’t intend using Norton see if it’s in add & remove programs uninstall --if not Do a search for Norton  for all files & folders & delete them.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 12:20:56 PM »

Thanks for your reply.

I didnt remove the Norton AV on my laptop because I dont think it was installed as it keeps asking me to install and I have ignored it.  There does seem to be an icon, but I took it as I hadnt paid for it then it wasnt installed?  Is this where I have gone wrong?
Yes Norton will be installed on your system, whether you have activated it yet or not does not matter as it will have to be removed, go to here  http://thewebatom.net/uninstallers/security-software/ and run number 21a in the list to clean up any leftovers of Norton after first deleting Norton via programs and features ( delet norton first then run the tool ).

You may have to do a repair of avast or even a reinstall after removal of Norton as it may have been corrupted by installing avast with another AV already on the system.

gill2610

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:59:19 AM »
Thank you everyone for your replies and help.  I am going to try them all today and hope that it works.

I will report back, thank you once again, its so good to know that there are people prepared to help and offer advice.  :) :)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »
Thank you everyone for your replies and help.  I am going to try them all today and hope that it works.

I will report back, thank you once again, its so good to know that there are people prepared to help and offer advice.  :) :)

You're welcome..!
Awaiting your reply.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

gill2610

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:12:59 AM »
Thank you everyone, what a brilliant site.

I uninstalled Norton and now everything works ok, Skype is fine so far and all working.

Avast free doesnt seem to be effected at all, but will check today as not using my new laptop all the time yet.  Daft I know taking my time to update everything.  And now trying to sort out why messenger wont work.  I soooo wish that I was more techy.

Thanks again x

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 09:24:06 AM »
Your welcome  :)