Author Topic: Win32:Malware-gen, Google search results redirect  (Read 11915 times)

DonZ63

Re: Win32:Malware-gen, Google search results redirect
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 11:02:05 PM »
I guess a comment needs to be made about all these XP repair installs I see going on. The comment is they don't always work for the below reason. It is always best to do a repair install with an installation CD whose SP matches that which installed. If your installation CD is pre-SP3 and your current XP installation on the PC is SP3, there could be problems.

I have seen a few comments in this forum to the effect that a SP3 upgrade CD from Microsoft will work for a repair installation of an existing SP3 installation. I think you can still download the .iso version from the Microsoft and then create a bootable CD. I personally have never tried it.

From Michael Stevens web page:http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If you get a warning message: "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD."

You get this message when you use a pre-SP 1, SP2 XP CD on an XP installation that has been updated to SP1, SP2.

You have the options listed below.

1.Remove the SP 1, SP2 update if the option is available from Add/Remove.
2.Create a slipstreamed XP CD merging the SP1 or SP2 update.
2a Autostreamer for creating a slipstreamed CD the easy way.
3.Purchase an XP CD with SP2 included.

blakewest

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 07:18:40 PM »
I basically ran out of time to repair the system, so I managed to backup the data using a boot disk a friend gave me and completely reformatted and reinstalled windows. I'm getting clear scans and no rootkits showing up during a boot scan.

EssexBoy, I appreciate all the help you offered and the time you put in.

DonZ63

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 11:21:10 PM »
Thanks for replying back.

BTW - all your efforts were well spent. Many experts including Microsoft recommend a full reformat and fresh install after a serious rootkit infection.