Author Topic: False positive:System Information for Windows (SIW)  (Read 4617 times)

Glowman

False positive:System Information for Windows (SIW)
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »
This well respected software utility is currently being reported as malicious.
http://www.gtopala.net/download/siw-setup.exe

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: False positive:System Information for Windows (SIW)
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:08:25 PM »
It isn't blocking the siw-setup.exe as such it is blocking the site, see images.

EDIT:
There is an on-line contact form, http://www.avast.com/contact-form.php?loadStyles for:  * Sales inquiries; Technical issues; Website issues; Report false virus alert in file; Report false virus alert on website; Undetected Malware; Press (Media), issues.

- If you are reporting an FP, then you get another input field open, enter the web URL for the site you wish to submit for Network Shield review, etc. A link to this topic also wouldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:11:10 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

meesdroo

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 02:30:44 PM »
Today I got SIW halted at it's website :
http://www.gtopala.net/download/siw-setup.exe
too! Seeing that this issue is running since April 2008, my question is:
How seriously can we take the Avast product support and hence the Avast product as a whole?
I already had to dump McAfee and Norman for destroying vital parts of the operating system; will Avast be the next?
By the way, I sent in a ticket to notify them for the false positive; I hope I was wrong concluding that nothing happens and that they just fail to monitor their forums.
Mees de Roo

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
@meesdroo
If You are going to dump your AV every time something goes wrong.......Then You Will Soon have a long list of AV tested....
If you Check the vendors support forums you will see that none are problem free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 03:16:41 PM »
@ meesdroo
I don't know where you get that this has been going on since April 2008 (as you don't say) and this topic was first created on 29 October 2011.

There are many reasons why a site may end up being blocked if it had a recent hacking attack could result in avast's web shield alerting on the site; this could result in it being added to the network shield malicious sites list. So it is possible over time for a site to end up being blocked more than once.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Sirmer

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
Hello,
it will be unblock in next virus definition update.
Regards,
Jan

meesdroo

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58:17 PM »
Well I must say that I am very pleasently surprised! :D
I sent in this false positive by the usual channels too, and I got immediate replies and the promise for repair and by loo, it was repaired asap!
That is what I expect from an anti-virus company and thats what I obviously got.
So keep up the good work and I will keep using and promoting your product.
And apologies if I sounded a bit negative to start with. I just got my share from sales oriented non-valeurs whem this hickup crossed my path... :'(
Mees de Roo