Author Topic: Avast! and PcLinuxOS  (Read 13696 times)

joanlui

Avast! and PcLinuxOS
« on: December 11, 2010, 10:58:09 AM »
Does it work??????? ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! and PcLinuxOS
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:54:52 AM »
Yes, why not? There is a Linux version of avast...
The best things in life are free.

joanlui

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 06:13:17 PM »
I'll try later.... ;D

GOTHBITES

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:49:54 AM »
Does it work??????? ???

OK let me get this straight. bear with me on this Do you have PClinuxOS installed on your computer now? also which version are you running like 2007, 2009,2010 KDE 3.5 or 4.5, Gnome or XFCE. Also are you dual-booting with a Windows OS like XP or Vista or the new Vista-lite version called Windows 7

Also is the Avast in the repos and if not, did you ask or suggest it in the package suggestion. and to do that just following the directions over in the forums

I myself would not mind seing this in the repo,but you got to clear it with the Big straight shooter Tex.  He would would be the one that has a say in it

and look me up on their forum same name lol

joanlui

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:47:18 PM »
I'm using PCLinuxOs 2011 Lxde version in my netbook. Avast is not in the repo of PcLinuxOs, maybe because the Linux version of it is not free of charge. ::)

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 20 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

O.K. this needs to be cleared up !! ;D Can't believe it'd been left twenty days ...
This info should be made very clear, especially since this thread has been left idle as being fact, that joanlui said:
Avast! " ...maybe because the Linux version of it is not free of charge"[/b]

Not So !!LOOK >
avast! Linux Home Edition - Antivirus solution for the increasingly popular Linux platform, free of charge for home, non-commercial use.
HERE
Linux Security
Linux Security

Does it work??????? ??? I've used
Yes, I have used it in the past, very much different obviously than Avast! Home version for Windows.

The problem here I feel is you are unfamiliar with PCLinuxOS, and also as it is suggested that only programmes in the Repos are installed, otherwise your on your own to fix it if you come to a problem.
I believe ClamAv is the only AV in the Repos. Nothing against ClamAv  ;)
GOTHBITES said:
"... did you ask or suggest it in the package suggestion. and to do that just following the directions over in the forums

I myself would not mind seing this in the repo,but you got to clear it with the Big straight shooter Tex.  He would would be the one that has a say in it
ditto  ;)

Texstar is the main developer, for PCLinuxOS, but there are many forms of offshoots that Mods, and Advanced Users  develop, one of them being Neal, who develops his version of pclos,that joanlui uses,LXDE. 
@ joanlui, who has maybe moved on, ... seeing no reply ...
First off, great place to start reading to suggest Avast! be in their Repos: Package Suggest Rules, Please read before requesting a new package :)
Then:
LXDE Forum
Starting a Thread about "Avast! for Linux" may just get you some help, seeing you are/were using PCLinuxOs 2011 - Lxde version.

Problems; Installation/Usage could be addressed here at the avast! 4 for Linux/Unix/MacForum, if help is not forthcoming at PCLinuxOS forum.

I notice there's three formats:
avast! Linux Edition (RPM package)
            avast! Linux Edition (DEB package)
            avast! Linux Edition (TAR GZ package)

Note: the program will not work without a valid license key.
To get your key, please use the registration form.(Registration is FREE)

Hopes that helps someone !
As a PCLinuxOS MiniMe user I've found people more that happy to help at their Forum, just like here at Avast!

Happy Surfing,

Abraxas.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:09:03 PM by Abraxas »

joanlui

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »
ok, ok...I've got it! Thx! ;D

I'm registering in the PcLinuxOs forum...I'll advertise a bit avast!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:12:05 PM by joanlui »

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:54:27 AM »
Yes,Yes, joanlui ... Very Good  ;D

In four years using Dual Boot, WinXP SP3 and PCLinuxOS, with a 500 GB Hard Drive to store stuff from my Linux install,being able to scan that Drive with MalwareBytes AntiMalware, plus Avast,after logging into WinXP no infection to the WinXP System, or my 500 GB shared Drive, so really I don't bother with an AV.

Of course people should use AV's in Linux, but there are also many ways to stay secure within the Linux infrastructure, three years of testing has assured me that, just a lot of reading  ::)

For Windows users, of course there are programs that simulate a scanner, to give comfort watching a lot of files fly by, pretending they are being scanned.
Some find that comforting  ;D

pepe2

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 01:10:34 AM »
es, why not? There is a Linux version of avast...

AndrzejL

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
Does it work??????? ???

Sorry for replying in a older thread but there was no definite answer. Yes Avast works on PCLinuxOS and it works very well.

More info.

Regards.

AndrzejL