Author Topic: avast Registration Key Location  (Read 5636 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
avast Registration Key Location
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:14:30 AM »
Where is the avast Registration Key stored?
Today I conducted what I thought had to be the most extensively thorough uninstall of avast that I had ever done before reinstalling avast.  After the regular uninstall, I did the CCleaner thing, including Registry Cleaning.  Then for the 1st time ever, I also did JetClean and Glary Utilities Cleaning, including Registry Cleaning that found tons of additional, never before found Registry Entries.

Yet ... SOMEHOW, when I went to try and register my freshly reinstalled avast, I was informed I was already registered.  :o  What the ....???  Where'd that come from?  I hadn't entered any Registration Key yet and hadn't been on the Net yet.  Why was I already registered on this occasion when in the past, after much less thorough uninstalls I've had to re-register upon reinstalling?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

ady4um

Re: avast Registration Key Location
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 05:27:30 AM »
I don't know the answer to the main question, but after a normal uninstallation method, you should reboot into Windows Safe Mode an run http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.

Run aswclear several times under Windows Safe Mode, each time for each version of avast you ever installed or ever updated to.

Then search for any remnant (hidden) folder that may had been left behind, like "*alwil*" and "*avast*" (case insensitive). Delete them (still, under Windows Safe Mode).

Then reboot into Windows Normal Mode and install the latest stable version of avast. Once the installation finishes, reboot. If avast works correctly, test it a couple of days. Still works correctly? Renew the registration.

BTW, are you sure the specific "program" installation was already registered, or the "email address" was?

[EDIT]
Check the maintenance -> registration info. When is the expiration date?
[/EDIT]

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: avast Registration Key Location
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 02:41:39 AM »
The Expiration Date that came up after my uninstall and reinstall was and still is:
October 1, 2012

That is what it used to be with avast that I uninstalled.
I don't believe I had ever encountered a situation whereby after an uninstall and reinstall, the freshly installed avast came up as already registered.

Anyway ...
I'm gonna redo this whole thing.
Okay, so I'm gonna start off with a regular uninstall in Safe Mode.
Then I'll run the avast Uninstall Utility in Safe Mode.
Then I'll check with CCleaner, JetClean, Glary Utilities for any avast remnants.
THEN after installing the fresh avast ...
I'll set it to MANUAL Virus Definitions Updates. (Temporarily of course.)

This way, when I log on to the Net, I will personally manually click to get the Virus Definitions Update going.  This way I'll be more confident that the Update did start and SHOULD be in progress.  I'll have my Speakers ON so that I can hear when the update has finished ... which will hopefully be before friggin' midnight.  I'd better get started.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000