Author Topic: avast not loeading  (Read 3715 times)

dirtyiowa

avast not loeading
« on: December 03, 2004, 02:55:25 AM »
i have a problem with my avast software.  I have contracted 2 trojan horses. trojan Dyfuca and Win32:trojano-803.  I was infected with the 803 virus from a website that i typed in wrong.  It was www.o**ir.com.  Don't go there!!!!!!!  So avast was running and it caught it.  The recommended action was to move to chest.  I clicked on the move to chest button and it started to move it.  I then got an error message stating that the file was too big to move.  This is the file.  "C:\Window\AllUsers\ApplicationData\AOL\Storage\cache.db".  So then i hit delete and it proceeded with the scan.  The next day it came back, along with the VBS:REDLOF virus.  The same action for the trojan was recommended and the same thing happened.  The vbs virus i moved to the chest and then deleted.  The vbs virus had shown up twice but now seems to be gone.  The trojan horse I have contracted 8 times in four days and now have further  problems because of it.  Now last night when I attempted to run avast, there came an error message saying that "usiSkins" were unreachable and that the operation had failed.  I attempted to delete the avast software and reinstall it, only to the same result.  So, I tried downloading the avg software, and it found the trojan dyfuca, but the program shut itself down before I could delete it.  I am still infected obviously, because now when I try to run avast, it gives me this error message.  "A required .DLL file, ASHBASE.DLL, was not found.  It pops up in a window called error starting program.  I click ok and it goes back to the normal desktop.  
             My computer runs on a windows 98 system.  I have avast antivirus, spybot search and destroy, ad-aware se personal, and a zone alarm firewall.  What do I do to fix this problem and how do I keep it from coming back?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 07:32:15 PM by dirtyiowa »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:avast not loeading
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 12:45:31 PM »
The best way for people not to go there is not to put a hot link on the forum thread. ojair.com is not a clickable link. You can also not be 100% certain that you got it from that URL.

I suggest you remove (edit) the url, just in case someone does accidentally click it.

Download the Avast Uninstall Utility, find it here: This should get rid of any remnants of avast, reboot and re-install avast. Make sure that AVG is completely removed. avast will not install properly if you have another AV also resident. There is too much likelihood of conflict with 2 AVs, so avast disables itself rather than cause a conflict.

Clear the AOL browser cache (temporary Internet files).

Visit Eddy's Website and click the "Malware removal instructions and applications" and also the "HiJackThis Section"

Advice & Tools for virus/trojan/malware Removal & Prevention

Worth a Read How did I get infected in the first place and follow Tony's advice.  He will tell you about some ways to make your computer more secure and link to some excellent free tools to help with that.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:52:56 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 01:08:27 PM »
Dirtyiowa,

1) I think you first must be clean and run on-line scanners. Here there are a lot of suggestions: http://www.security-ops.tk/
2) Clean the temporary files and System Restore ones.
3) After that, let's try to repair the avast installation.
4) Then run a boot time scanning of avast antivirus.
5) Then, scan with spybot search and destroy, ad-aware se personal
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 02:35:51 PM »
He is using win 98 (didn't say if SE or not).

So unfortunately boot scan is not available to him and repair might also be out of the question, unless he has 98se, otherwise he will only have the remove option (no change option in 98 1st edition) in add remove programs.

That's why I went round the houses (uninstall, boot, install) to try and get his avast complete/repaired.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2004, 03:39:32 PM »
You're right David.
Sorry, dirtyiowa. You should get your avast back like David said.
The best things in life are free.

dirtyiowa

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2004, 09:07:43 PM »
I have now performed the avast reinstall and I have gotten avast to work again and it finds no viruses now.  I then performed adaware as eddy instructed and it came up with a whole lot of stuff, but does not tell me what i should remove as spybot does.  i will attach the log and if you guys could please instruct me on what to remove and what to keep that would be greatly appreciated.  thanks again.

dirtyiowa

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2004, 09:54:07 PM »
i have performed all of the suggestions that were listed. by the way thank you for your help.  now i have one last request.  these two logs are what was generated by ad aware and hijack this.  I don't know what things to remove and what things to ignore. please have a look t them and let me know what to do with them.  thanks again
Michelle

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2004, 11:48:53 PM »
If you want to try an on-line scan of your Hijackthis file try here http://hijackthis.de/index.php

You could also download Eddy's HiJackThis log file analyser or use his on-line analyser. A quick look at your log file shows you are running AVG and avast, not a good idea to have two resident on-access scanners, potential for conflict between the two.

Re. AdAware, run another scan and switch off the 'Search for negligible risk entries. That will return only the more serious problems. You can tick the box by each entry that you want deleted/fixed or I think there is a select all option and click next this will eventually remove those entries. AdAware should also make a back-up of the items it removes so they can be restored if you experience a problem.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 11:51:32 PM by DavidR »