Author Topic: HTC Sync vs Avast Mobile  (Read 4069 times)

eccentra

HTC Sync vs Avast Mobile
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »
I installed Avast Mobile from the Android Market today (HTC Desire, not rooted, running Android 2.3).
I discovered I couldn't sync any more -- when the USB cable is connected, HTC Sync tries and fails to connect to the PC.
Possibly related to this: USB Debugging (which HTC Sync requires, for some reason) doesn't come on any more, even if I specifically enable it in the settings menus.

I couldn't find any way to allow HTC Sync to connect, or to temporarily disable Avast, so I've had to uninstall Avast completely.

Is there a workaround for this?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: HTC Sync vs Avast Mobile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:24:31 AM »
Hi,

are you sure the bug was avast! related? Did you install Anti-Theft module or just AMS?

Filip

eccentra

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
No, I never got as far as configuring the anti-theft module (it prompted me to, but I clicked the "do it later" button).

I'm pretty sure it was Avast - it's the only new thing I've installed since the last (successful) use of HTC Sync. More to the point, HTC Sync started working again once I uninstalled Avast.

Here's what I did:

- Install Avast mobile from Android Market, let it run a virus check. All clear. Yay!
- Plug in USB cable and attempt to use HTC Sync. No luck ("HTC Sync may not be installed on your PC...").
- Notice that USB debugging isn't coming on when I plug in the USB cable. Check settings; USB Debugging has been disabled. I didn't do that, so presumably Avast did. Re-enable it.
- Unplug and reconnect USB cable; try HTC Sync again. Still no USB Debugging, even though it's enabled in the settings.
- Unplug USB, restart phone, reconnect USB, try HTC Sync again. Still no USB Debugging.
- Unplug USB, uninstall Avast, restart phone, reconnect USB. USB Debugging is back on again, and HTC Sync now works fine!

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:30:38 PM »
Hmm, I know that Anti-Theft has the option to force disable USB debugging, but I think AMS does nothing to that. I will point our QA to this and see if they can reproduce the issue.

In the meantime, do you think you could try AMS once again just to see if the problem occurs even on the other try?

Filip

reinhardholzner

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
Filip is right - Anti-Theft is capable of doing this but AMS itself does not even have that code in it...
can you send us a log?

eccentra

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 05:08:41 PM »
I've now had a chance to try again, and everything worked perfectly.
In fact, because it worked, I went ahead and configured anti-theft, and that works too...

I've no idea what the problem was, but it seems to have gone away.

Thanks for your help, though!

svehlak

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 05:15:39 PM »
I did try it on HTC WildfireS and HTC Sensation and did not find any mistake. Sometimes, if your HTC is connected via ADB, the connection ended incorrect and USB sync does not work - the restart should help.