Author Topic: Remove NIS to load Avast  (Read 1987 times)

dford3772

Remove NIS to load Avast
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:02:33 PM »
I have my sister's vista 32 machine and as her Norton Internet Security has run out I want to remove it and put Avast on this desktop pc.

Guess I should have written first but I ran the Norton removal tool already.  It succeeded but I know there are many tentacles of NIS.
What do you recommend that I do next.

Will it be possible for Avast to work on a machine that has had Norton for 3+ years?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Donna in Arkansas

Bavo

Re: Remove NIS to load Avast
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
Yes it should work fine. After you have been running the NIS removal tool "all" left-overs of the program should be gone from your computer except some in the /system32 drive. I belive its their lexicon's or something that is left over after you've been running the NIS removal tool. You can always come back to the forum if it didnt work!

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Remove NIS to load Avast
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »
You will find the uninstall tool and instructions here http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/
Just be sure you select the right one.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.