Author Topic: Please help  (Read 2738 times)

borderace

Please help
« on: December 22, 2004, 10:39:46 PM »
I can't seem to post a new topic in the 4.5 forum for some reason...the "new topic" button just isn't there.  But maybe this is a common problem in other versions, I don't know....I have Avast 4.5 with Windows XP Pro , Pentium III PC...basically about every other time that I start up my computer, the little Avast icon in the tray starts spinning and when I double-click it, it brings up the resident protection box, and shows that it is scanning files.  I don't want it to do this for no reason, it slows down my computer significantly.  If I Terminate it, then my virus software is off and I don't want it to be off completely like that.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

techie101

Re:Please help
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 11:41:50 PM »
borderace,

Firstly, you must be singed on for the New Topic button to appear.

Secondly, Avast is running a boot scan at startup because this is the default setting.  Open up the Avast scanner interface by right clicking on the A ball in the tray and selecting "Start Avast" Open up the Menu and then click on Settings.  At the top you will see a box "Test memory during startup".  Uncheck this box, then click OK and exit.

That's it!    ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 12:30:25 AM »
By the '4.5 forum' are you talking about the ' avast! Home/Pro 4.5 BETA ?' if so this is a closed forum as it discussed the beta version of avast, which is no longer beta (pre release version).

There is only one other forum that you shouldn't be able to post in (assuming you are registered and signed in), ' ALWIL Software Announcements'
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 12:58:50 AM »
When I double-click it, it brings up the resident protection box, and shows that it is scanning files.  I don't want it to do this for no reason, it slows down my computer significantly.  If I Terminate it, then my virus software is off and I don't want it to be off completely like that.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

If I understood you correctly, is the Standard Shield protection at High sensitivity that could be scanning files.
Open the Standard Shield settings > Customize > uncheck the options for scanning open/changed/created files at the 'Scanner (Advanced)' tab. Note: the protection level will drop down... but it's your choice.
The best things in life are free.