Author Topic: remove  (Read 5357 times)

lion

remove
« on: December 22, 2004, 01:10:18 PM »
How do i remove avast. Since installing it I am having terrible problems with the desk top. Like I cannot double click anything or open the recycling bin or open my computer or the c drive ............  i just need to get rid of it!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:remove
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 01:51:23 PM »
This is likely not caused by Avast but by something else. Check the event and system log and let us know if there are any errors there.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 02:41:34 PM »
What makes you so sure avast! is causing this ? I've never heard such a thing. Did you check other programs you have installed ? Did you check your system using free online scanner Housecall by TrendMicro ?

Anyway, if you still don't wanna try to find a solution for your problem (believe me, you are loosing a lot by uninstalling this great antivirus... a lot), then how about going into Add/Remove programs in your Control Panel... isn't that where you always uninstall your programs ?

You can also, visit official avast! web site and download uninstall utility from here:

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_uninstall_util.html

Read instructions...

P.S. I'm pretty sure even when you uninstall avast!, your problem won't disappear, because it's more than likely that something else is causing it...  ;) The problems you mentioned sounds more like corrupt system files, and need for repairing Windows installation...

lion

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 03:12:51 PM »
i cannot get to add/remove!!! that is part of the problem. If i try to click on "my computer" then the computer crashes

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 03:18:49 PM »
So, this is 99.9% not related to avast! You have major system files issue. Your Windows installation is most likely corrupt and it needs to be repaired.

You never mentioned what version of Windows you have. All possible info would be greatly appreciated.

But, before you do that, go to free online antivirus scanner called Housecall, just to be sure that your PC is not infected with some nasty virus. Here is a link for Housecall:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_frame.asp

Choose country you reside in, then wait for program to update some definitions, and then select what areas of your system to be scanned. Believe me, you want to scann whole hard drive, or even all hard drives that you have installed. Click on SCAN button and let it finish with system checking.

Also, you may try to scan your system of spyware and adware. Use freeware programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot - Search and Destroy.

lion

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 04:07:01 PM »
windows 98, yes i know it is old but my bosses are not really in to computers!

lion

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 04:07:49 PM »
i forgot to say this all started when we were trying to remove the about.blank virus

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 04:20:05 PM »
Well, that's it... most likely you cleaned that virus from your computer, but also some very important system files. Probably they were damaged anyway...

If you can, backup all important data you may have on that computer (if any), and my suggestion is nice and clean reinstall of Windows.

However if you find it as too much work to do, you may try with Windows 98 repairing procedure.

See here:
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/start-142.html

Some additional information on how to do it, you'll have to search in some Windows related forums, because this is not an avast! issue, this is Windows repair issue. Have your original Windows 98 installation CD ready, because you will need it if you decide to proceed with repairing...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 04:22:42 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

lion

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 04:25:17 PM »
thanks i will try that if i can find the windows98 discs!! I think you are correct.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 06:39:50 PM »
I know it could sound strange and weird but, if you can get access to your Internet options (through Control Panel or Tools/Options into your browser) and see your proxy settings, specially 'LAN settings' > 'local addresses'.

Also, make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy): Left click the avast icon > Settings
Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy

If anything change your proxy settings, you can't double click, open windows explorer, etc.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 07:03:10 PM »
I know it could sound strange and weird
It sure does. Your reply seems absolutely have nothing to do with the problem this person is having

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 01:13:11 AM »
It sure does. Your reply seems absolutely have nothing to do with the problem this person is having

Do you use a proxy filter?
I do.
I know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 01:14:19 AM by Technical »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 01:21:42 AM »
But Technical, proxies don't have anything to do with his problem. He can not open Control panel, My computer, nothing. It is related directly to corrupt Windows Installation... actually in his case, they probably erased some important system files when their system was infected with about.blank virus as he mentioed earlier in this thread...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 01:22:04 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2004, 01:31:16 AM »
But Technical, proxies don't have anything to do with his problem. He can not open Control panel, My computer, nothing. It is related directly to corrupt Windows Installation... actually in his case, they probably erased some important system files when their system was infected with about.blank virus as he mentioed earlier in this thread...

Yes, proxies have something about.
I have a proxy filter. When it shutdowns improperly the local addresses could be redirected to the proxy filter and nothing works: not the mouse (right click) nor the Windows Explorer folders.
Hardware problems (like external USB drivers could be related too).

Look, I'm not saying this is the problem, but, please, don't write that my guess has nothing related to that as I have the same synthoms when the proxy filter has problems. I'm just tring to help... I know that a virus could do this and worst things...  :'(
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 01:32:19 AM by Technical »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2004, 01:49:03 AM »
I can enable proxies if I want. I can use my ineternet connection LAN settings without or with proxies. Never noticed anything similar.

Anyway, the point is, he already stated that they had virus on that computer, and they cleaned it... but also, there is very big possibility that they erased some vital system files. I would bet on my own life that this is the case, nothing else.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 01:49:36 AM by S.Z.Craftec »