Author Topic: Pre-boot scan cannot remove virus  (Read 4730 times)

ddoctor

Pre-boot scan cannot remove virus
« on: May 19, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »
Computer is running fine. Avast regular scan is clean and other scans are also clean, but I ran pre-boot scan and a virus was detected. I could not move to chest or delete due to an error message: "compressed file is too big to process". The virus looks something like this : App Data\Roaming\AVG\Rescue\PC tuneup\ Java: Agent.AIY [EXPL]
All of those old antivirus programs I deleted a long time ago, so not sure where this is coming from.

I am using Avast Internet security 7, Dell 5030 laptop, windows 7 sp1

Thanks

true indian

Re: Pre-boot scan cannot remove virus
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:46:01 PM »
Thats AVG folder....did u run the AVG uninstaller tool before installing avast??

Now u need to take out a that folder....

Open Cmd from start menu and copy paste this in cmd:

rmdir /s /q c:\[User name]\AppData\Roaming\AVG

Note: enter your user name in place of the [user name]

Hit enter and the directory will be deleted...U may have to disable avast before running the command
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:00:08 PM by true indian »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:54:01 PM »
run AVG uninstaller tool.....and reboot
also run for any other AV you have had on that computer

http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:55:41 PM by Pondus »

ddoctor

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »
Didn't seem to work. I entered the command after suspending Avast. Response was:
"The system cannot find the path specified" I did a cut and paste of your command line and like you said, I entered the correct user name.
I also ran the AVG 64 bit program to remove the AVG components and it looked like it did do something but when I ran the pre-boot scan again the same virus came up.

AdrianH

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 05:31:37 PM »
Go to C (or whatever your drive letter is) > Users > App Data\Roaming\AVG and delete the AVG folder, the part in brackets should be contained in the folder.  (\Rescue\PC tuneup\ Java: Agent.AIY [EXPL])

ddoctor

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 01:02:55 AM »
All set. Thanks guys! My problem was I could not locate the folder because it was hidden! I had to go to control panel to check the box "show hidden files" and then it was there!