Author Topic: Locked up  (Read 9407 times)

noclue

Locked up
« on: September 06, 2003, 02:44:52 PM »
Last night I installed this program on my laptop. It restarted and ran the test only to have it lock up. I restarted and once again it locked up. After doing this many times I gave up.

How can we fix the problem??  ???

We are running it on a emachine laptop with Windows XP with 512 RAM

thanks

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Locked up
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 02:55:02 PM »
Well, first we need to know where it locked up (some strange file maybe?)
So, does the lock up depends on the setting of quick, standard or thorough test? Does it locks up if archives scanning is turned off?
If you go to the Settings and select the "Report file" page, you can turn on creating the report file. If you check "OK files" to be included in the report as well, all the scanned files will be included in the report file. So, when it locks up, the "bad" file should be at the end of the report file (or the file at the end of the report file should be "close" to the bad one, if it's not there itself).
If you find the approximate location, you can try to scan ony the file/folder to check/find the "bad" file...

noclue

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 02:59:17 PM »
When we installed it asked if we wanted to have the option of scanning files during boot-up. We picked yes it scanned all the files finished with no reports. Finished starting windows and it was locked up :(

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 04:46:16 PM »
Dont you have any other anti-virus software installed on the machine? Do you have a personal firewall? Or generally, any other low-level stuff?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

noclue

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 04:57:21 PM »
just nortons that came with the machine and that turned off

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2003, 05:30:23 PM »
Turning Nortons off is usually not enough -- they load their kernel mode drivers even if disabled!!

Did you get the warning about NAV when you were installing avast?

Anyway, to resolve the problem, you need to dump either avast or Norton. They can't play together.

You can do it in the Safe Mode (keep pressing F8 before Windows starts booting - you'll be given the chance to access the Safe Mode).

To remove Norton is not very easy (there is a lot of info about this on this forum. To make long story short, the easiest way is to download the "NAV Removal Tool" from Symantec: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/949e46314f0916a0852565d00073bbfd/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02/$FILE/Rnav2003.exe and run it.

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

noclue

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 07:44:45 PM »
its fixed...Thank you SO much!! ;D :D :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 04:07:19 PM »
its fixed...Thank you SO much!! ;D :D :)

Make a eicar test... (under DOS or cmd window too).
Maybe you have some hidden troubles and you even know...
Vlk is correct, but did not give the final word...
How is your Windows Registry? If you are an advanced user, take a look at DOS under XP / NAV.  ;)

I have to uninstall Norton and it´s a very good computer exercise  ;D

« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 04:26:21 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2003, 04:24:02 PM »
noclue,

I know that the things are fixed, but an added comment....
Sometimes after boot problems, you should run a scandisk and defrag with the scandisk set to correct the errors.

NAV can cause problems like this when it conflicts with other programs such as AVAST.

Good luck
techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2003, 04:28:34 PM »
noclue,

I know that the things are fixed, but an added comment....
Sometimes after boot problems, you should run a scandisk and defrag with the scandisk set to correct the errors.

NAV can cause problems like this when it conflicts with other programs such as AVAST.

Good luck
techie

Techie is right again! But, don´t forget to check with eicar test under DOS Symantec makes a horrible set in some Registry Keys!  >:(
The best things in life are free.