Author Topic: Avast is locking up the PC  (Read 26323 times)

Hornus Continuum

Re:Avast is locking up the PC
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2003, 01:34:14 PM »
BanziBaby,

First, have you tried the variations on #<smtp server> vs <username>#<smtp server> on the Servers tab of the account configuration screen instead of in the dialog box?  Second, when I first installed avast!, version 4.0.235, I had trouble sending/receiving mail as well.  Using the Mail Wizard to configure OE, either manually or automatically, just would not work for me.  I found that using the format <username>@<smtp server> for the Account name resolved all the problems.  Nobody has explained why it worked, and I haven't seen any posts indicating that it has worked for anyone else.  Also, I realize that you're using 4.1 -- much may have changed about the Internet Mail provider, but desparate times call for desparate measures.   :-*

Regards,
Hornus

BanziBaby

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2003, 04:31:15 PM »
Hi Hornus :)

Yep i tried all that, including following the help file to the letter & still no luck, using the "DefaultSMTP=1" option also seemed to make the mail scanner lock when checking some accounts, so i had to wait till it popped up the Do U want to wait or cancel box.Persoanlly i have had enough of all the probs with Avast & have switched to NODv2 as my main resident scanner, keeping Avast as a back up on demand scanner, using msconfig & a reboot to switch between them.Seems likr the Avast Team still has a long way to go till my confidence in their product is restored, i dont mean to sound bitter, but when their prog makes it almost impossible to Use Ur PC, then its time to move on, so i cant recommend other to use it now, sorry :(

BaNzI ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2003, 02:44:03 AM »
I tried all that, including following the help file to the letter & still no luck, using the "DefaultSMTP=1" option also seemed to make the mail scanner lock when checking some accounts...

Of course, more information about the avast4.ini file you can see here

The avast4.ini file must be configurated as this:

Section and KeysValuesNotes and value description
[MailScanner] Mail Protection Wizard
DefaultPopServerpop.<your ISP provider address>Default POP server (Inbound Mail)
DefaultSmtpServersmtp.<your ISP provider address>Default SMTP server (Outbound Mail)
ShowTrayIcon1Shows an icon during e-mail process = 1; Hide icon = 0
AutoSetProtection1Protect new created e-mail account = 1; Do not protect = 0
UseDefaultSmtp0If you have just more than one SMTP server = 0; Just one: 1

Anyway, Mail Protection Wizard could do the work for you. To configure your e-mail client (program) follow these steps:

1. Close all your email applications.
2. Start Windows Menu > avast! antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard
3. Click Next on the first screen
4. Choose 'Setup the protection manually'
5. Choose 'I don't use MS Outlook (nor MS Exchange client) or 'I use other programs to work with e-mails as well'
    a) with MS Outlook/Exchange, the Wizard finishes here.
    b) with another e-mail client:
        After the service was disabled, choose Next
        Select your e-mail accounts (or 'My accounts is not in the list...' to get help)
        Finish your configuration and the service will start again.

You can run the Mail Protection Wizard more than once and all the changes could be reversed ('Automatically remove protection from all my accounts'). Nowadays, the following Internet Mail Clients are supported: MS Outlook (including Outlook 2003), MS Exchange, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2003, 02:06:47 AM »
Today, avast! give me a headache  :'(

Definetively, avast! 4.1.289 was freezing my XP PRO SP1 with all updates system. Task Manager showed this:

ashServ is consuming 53 Mb of RAM, with a peak of useage of 74 Mb !

More than this, page faults of ashServ rise upon 5 million (the second aplication in this range is 'FreeRamXP Pro 1.4', which has a peak of 66 Mb and page faults of 62.000).

Disabling residents do not affect the performance as ashServ is not turned off.
When the service ashServ is shutdown (and the aswUpdSv either), system become stable again.

I can send an email to avast! team with performance logs generated by Windows... I tryed to repair my avast! installation and get the picture bellow  :'(

I have to desinstall and install again...
Lost all my task settings and mail accounts configurations too  :'(

Anyway, I'm trying to look around the problem yet (see this forum).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 02:21:01 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.