Author Topic: Outlook multiple accounts  (Read 9459 times)

hubevolution

Outlook multiple accounts
« on: October 16, 2003, 12:14:13 PM »
I am using Outlook to retireve and send emails from/to multiple accounts and each account uses his own pop3/smtp server combination ... avast asked me for just one pop3 and smtp server and seems like he wants to use it for all my accounts.

It is a way to make avast use for each account the specified pop3/smtp server instead of the one it asked me in the wizard ?

Thanks

ToBas

Re:Outlook multiple accounts
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 02:21:02 PM »
It's not the best documented installation for Outlook, is it? As a newbie, I went through the same earlier this week. I had the same impression that I was supposed to be doing something in Outlook or that I would at least notice the server's changed to 127.0.0.1 and the login name changed to include the server name.

Turns out if you're using Outlook, virus checking is automatic and there's nothing you need to do with 127.0.0.1 or pop3 addresses. As I understand it, if you're using outlook and you get avast!'s splash screen when you start Outlook, you're protected (assuming you haven't changed any options and disabled email checking).

hubevolution

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 02:58:40 PM »
well the problem is that avast seems to open his own pop3 and smtp on loopback and use it as filters to check in/outgoing mails so when you run the wizard it sets all pop3/smtp settings to reflect this situation ... but it only uses one external pop3/smtp server !
I need to use different pop3/smtp server for each account and now I can just receive from all accounts but send only through one !

Another question that cames to my mind is this : does avast pop3/smtp services accept connections only from real loopback or I have to worry about ppl spoofing IP (127.0.0.1) and using avast as a spam proxy on my internet IP ?

thanks

ToBas

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 03:52:49 PM »
The way I read it, the 127 loopback config only applies to non-Outlook email clients (including outlook express). None of my 9 email addresses (spread over 3 pop3 servers and 2 smtp servers) in outlook 2003 have been modified in any way since avast! was installed yet it has popped up several warnings about the content of emails so I assume it's working OK. Like I said, this isn't obvious from the installation until you read the help file and do some searching through this forum.

hubevolution

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 03:58:47 PM »
opss ! I am using Outlook Express !! Maybe I forgot to say that !
So I guess that using Outlook Express the outlook plugin cannot be run and the loopback thing is the only solution ... this implies no different servers can be used then ?

Have I to switch over Outlook ... onestly I prefer OE !
Is there any way to avoid the loopback stuff and the single server limitation on OE ?

Thanks

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 04:38:44 PM »
well the problem is that avast seems to open his own pop3 and smtp on loopback and use it as filters to check in/outgoing mails so when you run the wizard it sets all pop3/smtp settings to reflect this situation ... but it only uses one external pop3/smtp server !
I need to use different pop3/smtp server for each account and now I can just receive from all accounts but send only through one !

Avast mail scanner is able to send through multiple SMTP servers. The SMTP server address is set in the username for outgoing mail in your OE account by the wizard, isn't it ?

Another question that cames to my mind is this : does avast pop3/smtp services accept connections only from real loopback or I have to worry about ppl spoofing IP (127.0.0.1) and using avast as a spam proxy on my internet IP ?

You can configure the listening options, search for PopListen in help.

hubevolution

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 04:58:43 PM »
Avast mail scanner is able to send through multiple SMTP servers. The SMTP server address is set in the username for outgoing mail in your OE account by the wizard, isn't it ?

yep but the wizard just allows to select just one server for all accounts ... can I edit servers manually in the OE username for each account ?

You can configure the listening options, search for PopListen in help.

Thanks I will check the help for that :)

thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2003, 05:07:39 PM »
You can disregard the SMTP/POP server boxes in the Wiz. They're not used if Outlook Express is configured properly, ie. if the SMTP authorization is turned on and the credentials contain the real SMTP server names (and this is what the Wizard does).

Vlk
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 05:26:19 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2003, 05:08:33 PM »
The server you select in the wizard is the default - it will be used if no server is found in the username.
You can edit them manually according to the help, but they should be set by the wizard, aren't they ?

ToBas

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2003, 06:49:14 PM »
Have I to switch over Outlook ... onestly I prefer OE !

Outlook 2003 is worth looking at for the junk email filter, far better than MS have produced so far. Some of the other features have been well thought out as well, maybe MS got someone else to do it  :D

hubevolution

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2003, 08:23:13 AM »
Thank you all guys I managed to set all properly and now I can send emails.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 09:22:11 PM »
If anybody wants to configure Spamihilator and avast! to be used in the same computer, please, see this related forum.
The best things in life are free.