Author Topic: The Bat! Integration  (Read 37208 times)

Axel Foley

The Bat! Integration
« on: October 19, 2003, 02:57:34 PM »
Hello everybody. :)

I found avast while googlin' around and I have a quick question before trying it:

- Is a plugin for The Bat! in the works?

I know I can already configure it to work by using the POP3/SMTP configuration integration but I don't like that, so I'm in search of good AV products that integrate natively with TB.

Right now I'm using AVG and I've tried DrWeb, they both integrate very well by providing their specific plugins and I wanted to check avast but before trying it I wanted to know if a TB plugin will be developed.

Thanks for the information and I wanted to tell you that having a support forum like this is a great advantage over the competitors' products. Companies tend to forget that "support" is an important requisite for customers, for me it is fundamental like the technical capabilities of the product, so way to go guys. I'll stick around this community....:)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:The Bat! Integration
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 03:48:54 PM »
The Bat! plugin is on the way (almost ready). Actually, it'd be quite helpful for us if you could do some beta-testing of it for us.

If you're interested, just say so and I can have a pre-release version sent to you shortly. Otherwise wait approx. 2 weeks - by this time, the plugin should be officially released. :)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

trigger

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 04:28:05 PM »
I am Bat! user. If you wish I can test it for you guys. I told pavel allready (I tried to help him on the bat forum), but had no reply yet.

Peter

Axel Foley

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 04:28:35 PM »
Here I am...ready to beta-test....:)

And thank you for being so user-driven, this is the key to the success...;)

I'll wait for the preview plugin, in the meanwhile I'll uninstall AVG and install avast...:)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 05:08:17 PM »
OK guys, as promised I have the pre-release version of the avast TheBat! plugin ready for you.

Grab it from http://cat.asw.cz/~vlk/AvBatEx.bav and save it to your TheBat! directory. Then select the avast plugin in Bat's Antivirus settings, and you're ready to go!

Good luck, and please keep us informed!

Thanks
Vlk

trigger

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 08:47:59 PM »
got it, installed it, now going to try to mail myself virusses. Which, I might add, is not that easy with avast running  8)

Peter

trigger

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2003, 05:05:39 PM »
Well, the plugin just quaratined two messages with the eicar virus in it. And the plugin keeps it protected, because it blocks access to the attachment when clickin on it  ;D So far so good !

Peter

Walker

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 08:36:21 PM »
Excuse me guy's,

This is definately 'off-topic' (my apologies admin). But could you tell me what you think of 'TheBat', I've never tried it, but always open to a good e-mail client.

Thanks,
Walker.

trigger

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2003, 12:04:05 PM »
Pesonally I like it. It's a highly customisable (hope that is the correct spelling  ??? ) amail client capable of supporting different accounts. The thing I don't like about it is the fact you have to set up your filters per account. There is no way of setting a global set of filters that filters all accounts. Allthough it is rather easy to copy filters from one account to the other.
I have tried my share of email clients over the years and at the moment this is my favorite one. If you use an IMAP email system, you should beware. There appears to be some problem with that still.

Peter

Walker

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2003, 03:26:48 PM »
Pesonally I like it. It's a highly customisable

Thanks for the info Peter.

I've used Pegasus for so many years that I have an original stone copy of the 10 commandments in the inbox.

E-mail clients are the one piece of software that I can't get something that I'm totally happy with. The Bat sounds a little like Pegasus... does it have the facility to create/send custom MHTML stationary?. This is the one thing that sends me over to Outlook every once in a while.

Walker.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 03:27:23 PM by Walker »

trigger

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2003, 04:10:41 PM »
I try to stay as far away as possible from html, so I can't answer that. But it has a very good plugin to fight virusses  ;D also a great spamplugin.

Peter

Walker

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2003, 04:12:08 PM »
Oh no not more A-V writers  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Peter.  :)

trigger

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2003, 07:08:03 PM »
Ok BTB.

I see that the The Bat! plugin can be set to scan outging mail, but in that case the adding of the notification that the message is beiing scanned is not added to the message. Also there is no notification on suspected attachments like a .exe I just mailed to someone. I cope with this by sending my mail through scanning proxy.

What is exactly the difference in functionality between the plugin and the resident program???

Peter

joanlui

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2003, 06:06:09 PM »
I installed the plugin...All ok here! I hope for be noticed when final plugin version is ready! Thx! :o

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2003, 06:09:41 PM »
What is exactly the difference in functionality between the plugin and the resident program???

A big difference, actually. It's not associated with any resident provider, it's just a module that internally uses the avast engine to scan the traffic. In other words, its implementation is independent of the avast on-access scanner framework.

Vlk