Author Topic: Resident Protection always Disabled?  (Read 12097 times)

webwiz

Re:Resident Protection always Disabled?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 05:25:34 PM »
And about winstart001.exe, if you still have it, please refer to this: http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?p=1630

Vlk
Thanks for the info...
I have never seen this filename appear anywhere in my startup files ever...
the only time I have ever seen it was on avast's warning yesterday. I will do another search and see what I can find. :-[

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2003, 05:28:03 PM »
Yes, I think that the file RPCSS.exe is really responsible for the RPC service on Windows 9x or ME. So, deleting it could cause the problem mentioned above.
You are right that the file is mislabeled (it's version info says "Windows NT operating system" - but this time, it should be there.

webwiz

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2003, 08:30:22 PM »
 ;D Hi everyone....

PROBLEM SOLVED.........IT WAS THE REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL SUBSYTEM FILE RPCSS.EXE WHICH I UNWITTINGLY DELETED 2 DAYS AGO. :-[ I CAN'T BELIEVE I COULD DO SOMETHING SO STUPID. I HAD KNOW IDEA AT ALL WHAT I HAD DONE, ALTHOUGH I SUSPECTED IT,EVEN THOUGH I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THIS FILE OR WHAT IT WAS.
THANKS VLK FOR POINTING THIS OUT.
I SIMPLY EXTRACTED THE PROGRAM FROM MY CABS, AFTER STARTING IN SAFE MODE AND TADAAA! EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE

THANKS FOR THE INPUT AND HELP EVERYONE ;D ;D

webwiz

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2003, 08:32:13 PM »
Yes, I think that the file RPCSS.exe is really responsible for the RPC service on Windows 9x or ME. So, deleting it could cause the problem mentioned above.
You are right that the file is mislabeled (it's version info says "Windows NT operating system" - but this time, it should be there.

;D YES YOU ARE CORRECT...THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP IGOR.
IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2003, 08:54:14 PM »
We are happy with you webwiz...
Thanking Vlk is the most common thing in these foruns...
The best things in life are free.