Author Topic: SpyBot updates  (Read 42960 times)

Jarron

Re:SpyBot updates
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2003, 07:05:20 AM »
Ok..I am making some progress but still can't get the updates.

I uninstalled the silly thing completely including registry keys, then did a clean install.

Now, Spybot "detects" the updates but is unsuccessful in downloading them.

I see that it starts the download of updates, but when it starts to download the file check library, it fails.

Make any sense to any of you???

If I don't get this thing to update, I'll junk it and switch over to SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster.
There goes more system resources,  but at least those programs update.  (At least in my ME machine)

techie

Oh by the way, I am the only user on my machine, so I don't think the Administrator thing had much to do with it.  
Sorry Hornus.  I wish you were right.  ;)

Rereading Techie's post I remembered that sometime in the past I did have a problem downloading an update after it detected it, I believe it was a program version update.  I switched to another mirror (FXClips(USA)) and it downloaded fine.  Since then I always automatically select that mirror.

I'll retract my statement that I never had problems with an update.  Please consider it faulty memory and not dishonesty.  I don't recall ever having a problem with it detecting updates anyway, and no problems downloading after that, not to the best of my recollection anyway (or did I already say that?  I can't remember).

Jarron

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2003, 07:07:57 AM »
OK Folks,

I did a Fast User Switch to an administrator account, started SB S&D, and had it check for updates.  It found one available, but it hung during the attempt.  Task Manager reported that two copies of the copies of the application were running and both were not responding.  I regret not having the forsight to check if there were two processes running, one for each active user account.  I suspect it, but don't know it.  I believe that if I had logged off the limited account first, that the download would have succeeded.

Regards,
Hornus

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2003, 12:42:47 PM »
Definitevely, there is an update of 24th November 2003.
Detection rules, 650 k. The download take a little longer and the computer 'seems' to freeze or stop. Wait! Wait for the download and do not browse so much during it.

The technical information is: Legend: ++ means a new addition,
+ means a target detection has improved

2003-11-24
Hijacker
+ AdultLinks.QaBar + AdGoblin + Xupiter.OrbitExplorer + IEDLL.ToonComics ++ SearchDotCom ++ CoolWWWSearch.HTMLEdit + CoolWWWSearch.SVCPack + SearchXL ++ ExPup ++ SearchOMatic + I-Lookup ++ RSSToolbar ++ SearchForge + CoolWWWSearch.WinSearch ++ Mirar.NNBar + eUniverse.IncrediFind ++ CleverIEHooker.Jeired + IEDLL.ToonComics + CoolWWWSearch + Search-Exe + MediaLoads + ClearSearch.Net + SearchAndClick + eXactSearchbar ++ FastSeeker + ToolbarCC ++ CoolWWWSearch.XPlugin + Adtomi.YahooStocks ++ AdsStore ++ ISTbar.CSearch ++ LoadHTML.BHOPopup ++ LoudMarketing.WinFavorites ++ ++ AdRoad.Cpr
Spyware
+ PurityScan + Outwar ++ iPend + Huntbar + ShopNav + eAcceleration + WildTangent + BrowserAid + SearchSquire
Malware
++ iempg + eUniverse.MyFreeCursors ++ ClimaxBucks.InternetOptimizer ++ KeenValue.PerfectNav + Haczyk.Ulubione
Keylogger
+ NetSpy + Winvestigator
Trojans
++ Peper ++ VividGalut ++ SpamRelayer.DiskServ ++ Remover.Trojan

Source: security.kolla.de
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2003, 11:25:33 PM »
Hornus,

The 2 apps running at the same time rang a bell.  I did notice that on my machine also.  I will have to try shutting down one of them before proceeding with the update.

Good job!

Technical,

Your posts are now longer than Hornus'.  I guess it's a Posting-virus.
 ;D

techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2003, 01:26:03 AM »
Technical, your posts are now longer than Hornus'.  I guess it's a Posting-virus.
 ;D

techie

:-*

Culpeper

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2003, 01:52:21 AM »
So was technical able to get his Spybot updates now?  

techie101

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2003, 01:54:19 AM »
Well, I have given up on Spybot.  Spybot support is non-existant, and I have to say, our Avast forum is the best I have ever been involved with.

The Spybot forum seems to have more questions than answers.

I have chosen to remove Spybot.  I have installed SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard as a combo which seems to be working rather nicely.
I still have Spyblocker (which I really like) running resident.  SB, SG and Spyblocker all play nicely together.  AND THEY ALL UPDATE FINE!!!

As for Adaware.  Adaware 6.0 will not update unless it is upgraded to build 181.  I only found out about this yesterday.  That was my update problem with Adaware.  I downloaded build 181 but never installed it.
Since I thought I did, it never dawned on me that it was the cause of the update problem.  
Getting old I guess.

techie  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2003, 02:08:03 AM »
Well, I have given up on Spybot.  Spybot support is non-existant, and I have to say, our Avast forum is the best I have ever been involved with.

The Spybot forum seems to have more questions than answers.

I have chosen to remove Spybot.  I have installed SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard as a combo which seems to be working rather nicely.
I still have Spyblocker (which I really like) running resident.  SB, SG and Spyblocker all play nicely together.  AND THEY ALL UPDATE FINE!!!

As for Adaware.  Adaware 6.0 will not update unless it is upgraded to build 181.  I only found out about this yesterday.  That was my update problem with Adaware.  I downloaded build 181 but never installed it.
Since I thought I did, it never dawned on me that it was the cause of the update problem.  
Getting old I guess.

techie  :D

Techie, believe in Spybot Sidebar. It can be accessed from Tools Menu of IE and tell you the last update for spybot.

I have some difficult to scan a partition with ad-aware from Lavasoft. The partition has a second Windows XP installation (not the one I use right now). The program freezes. In other partitions, everything works fine. Spybot does not freeze on scanning that partition (E:\).

techie101

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2003, 02:34:58 AM »
Technical,

I have no problem believing what the update should be.
I have a major problem getting the update to work in Spybot.
My last attempts noticed that there were NO mirrors listed!

Every day, a new problem which re-installing did not help.

I have Adaware set to scan just about every conceivable file configuration in my XP and it works fine.  As a matter of fact, the new build 181 really zips along!

I found Spybot to unstable for me.

Thanks for the comments.

techie
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 02:35:26 AM by techie101 »

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2003, 02:36:39 AM »
sorry to hear that spybot is a great program. Just how fast is adware?
my gateway laptop has 12.7 GB of files
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2003, 05:31:20 AM »
Mac,

Truthfully, I could not estimate the scanning time for 12 gig of files, but I did notice a considerable increase in scanning with the newer version which was a problem with older builds.

What I did was set it to scan late at night when I was through puttering.  It was done when I got up.

Try it.  It is greatly improved.  

techie

techie101

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2003, 05:47:32 AM »
I came upon this post on the Spybot forum of which I am a bit skeptical :

http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=89becbcadd4990ac60a2d58c7e98b60f;act=ST;f=28;t=5033

I did try other mirrors and waited....and waited.....
no updates!  
I did however get the !!! appearing in the Spybot download panel updates information.

Maybe when the get their server mess fixed, I'll give it another try in my XP system.  

It still functions ok in my W98 system, so I guess it is only a half a loss.  hahaha  

techie

« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 05:49:32 AM by techie101 »

Hornus Continuum

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2003, 11:19:41 AM »
Techie,

http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?s=89becbcadd4990ac60a2d58c7e98b60f;act=ST;f=28;t=5033

I'm with you, but not completely.  I did notice that the dates on the thread were from August.  This may be an indication of an ongoing problem with servers being unable to handle the load.  I did succeed in getting SB S&D to update a few minutes ago, though it was through no effort of my own.  Since SB S & D reports no new updates are available only for some but not for others, especially since it behaved both ways for me, ruling out differences in system configurations, I'm willing to consider that it may just be a server issue combined with poor error detection and/or reporting on the program's part.

Referring to my previous post about updating with limited vs. administrator accounts, logged on as a restricted user I told the program to check for updates, and it did find an update for detections available.  Remembering Jarron's post, I selected another server (changed from Unido in Europe to FXClips in the USA) and initiated the download, which failed.  An error message was displayed in what appearred to be German.  I guessed that it was telling me that access was denied to downloads.ini.  I remembered at this point that this always happened in the past when I tried to update when running under a limited account.  Checking the update directory for timestamps and my access rights to the directory, I saw that this was the case.

After giving my account the proper permission to access the file, I restarted the download without an error notification; however, SB S & D was still reporting the that it was using an older update.  Checking again, I saw that the timestamp on includes.zip was unchanged.  I changed the permissions and restarted the download.  It appeared to work this time, with a new archive file present and SB S & D reporting that it was using the new updates.

I wasn't satisfied with success, however.  I opened the Zip file and looked at the contents.  Comparing the timestamps of the archived files with those of the corresponding files in the Includes directory, I saw that they hadn't been updated.  Again I modified the permissions, but when I tried to reinitiate an update, of course SB S & D reported that no new updates are available.  Doh!

Checking the timestamp on the archive files instead of checking those on the individual files is causing me some grief, but it's my own fault.  It is a nice shortcut though, clever and efficient, and of course the developers didn't count on some smart ass circumventing the standard update procedure.  I guess I can just extract the files to the Includes directory, but I'm holding off on that for the moment to think it through.  I'm also going to give the user account the correct permissions for the program's entire directory tree to prevent partial update problems in the future if I decide to update as a restricted user.  (I just can't help myself and stop playing with fire sometimes.)

MacLover,

I run Ad-aware build 181 also.  It scans my hard drive with approximately 14 GB in 15 minutes, give or take.

This application has some update issues too.  Just after my recent SB S & D "update," I ran Ad-aware and attempted an update, just to see if it would work under a limited account.  It went through the motions reporting that the update was downloaded and installed successfully.  But, it is still using the old reference file; the new file was never downloaded according to its timestamp.  During subsequent attempts, it found the same new reference file and "downloaded" it.  It reported erroneously that I cancelled two updates.  The same lack of access permissions is causing this problem too, but for the time being I'm going to leave it alone.

The other day, running with administrative priveleges, I successfully updated the reference file, but it took a couple of attempts.  One update attempt hanged the program.  I ignored it and continued to use the computer for another hour or so to finish the projects I was working on, then I killed it with the task manager.  Within minutes, Explorer crapped out and had to be restarted, and subsequently I had to restart Windows.  (When Explorer dies sometimes I can continue working, once a couple of hours, but within minutes strange things start to happen, usually quickly snowballing.  I've learned that whenever Explorer or Internet Explorer fail -- they're heavily intertwined -- it's best to save my work and reboot.)

Regards,
Hornus

techie101

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2003, 03:21:48 AM »
Hornus,

It seems as though Spybot has suffered server overload!
I hope they square it away.  I really liked the program in my XP.  Fortunately, it still works in my W98 and ME machines.

As for Adaware, I have not had any more update problems since installing build 181.  Please note that the update function uses Port 80 which is normally blocked by spyware programs.

I will keep you up to date on any new developments in these programs.

techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2003, 06:40:38 PM »
New SpyBot updates available since 16th December: Integrated tools and skins.

Enjoy  ;D