Author Topic: Deeply disapointed of Kerio 4.0.7  (Read 23943 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Deeply disapointed of Kerio 4.0.7
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2003, 02:56:56 PM »
it provides virus scanning for Kerio WinRoute Firewall and Kerio Mail Server. Both of wich I would never use on our servers here at macworld because the personal firewall spoiled the kerio name

I believe there is no need to be so stringent -- the fact that KPF 4.x is not yet as good as its predecessors doesn't change anything on the fact that both Kerio Mail Server and Kerio WinRoute Firewall are (according to us) quality products that deserve attention... ;)

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2003, 09:38:27 PM »
I run real secure desktop protector on the clients ( By ISS who make BlackICE) and BlackICE server protection on the servers
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

denro

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2003, 12:45:37 AM »
Kerio 2.1.5 won´t stop working... I think that beast99 was just trying to say that the new versions are poor and it´s not confortable have a non-updatable software in your system. For solutions, Techie suggested Sygate Personal Firewall and I, ZoneAlarm.

Good to hear that Kerio 2.1.5 doesn't expire.  The engine in that version of Kerio, which came originally from Tiny Personal Firewall, is very stable and thoroughly debugged.  It should not be necessary to update it until at least the next version of Windows.  For now, although not easy to get to from the Kerio web page, Kerio still has the version available at:

http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/kerio-pf-2.1.5-en-win.exe

and I assume that others will make this freeware version available if Kerio pulls the link.  It is an outstanding firewall and works great with Avast

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2003, 10:48:38 AM »
The engine in that version of Kerio, which came originally from Tiny Personal Firewall, is very stable and thoroughly debugged.

Forgive my curiousity, but what exactly do you mean by 'very stable and thoroughly debugged'? That it does what it is expected to do (and does not crash)? What's so different about 4.0x?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

denro

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2003, 06:55:24 PM »
The engine in that version of Kerio, which came originally from Tiny Personal Firewall, is very stable and thoroughly debugged.

Forgive my curiousity, but what exactly do you mean by 'very stable and thoroughly debugged'? That it does what it is expected to do (and does not crash)? What's so different about 4.0x?

I may be wrong, but I have seen reports in the alt.comp.anti-virus newsgroup that some features in the new version of Kerio cease to work after a period if you don't upgrade to the paid version.  The comment about the older version of Kerio being stable was to say that it appears to be bug free and will not need active Kerio support for bug fixes and upgrades.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 06:56:22 PM by denro »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2003, 01:21:29 AM »
I may be wrong, but I have seen reports in the alt.comp.anti-virus newsgroup that some features in the new version of Kerio cease to work after a period if you don't upgrade to the paid version.  The comment about the older version of Kerio being stable was to say that it appears to be bug free and will not need active Kerio support for bug fixes and upgrades.

In my opinion, you're right. Earlier versions of Kerio were better than the 4 that join unsucessfull a lot of features and become a bloatware...  :'(
Anyway, as Vlk said, both Kerio Mail Server and Kerio WinRoute Firewall are quality products that deserve attention... I can't say anything about them because I don't know about them  ;)
The best things in life are free.