Author Topic: Avast floundering  (Read 11115 times)

Zakaash

Avast floundering
« on: November 28, 2003, 08:03:25 PM »
I have Win2K, on an ASUS A7V8X, 1024MB Corsair Extreme Ram, and a GF4 card, SB Audigy, all drivers kept upto date.  Last time Avast updated itself, earlier today, I found that it had deserted it's guard post but I get this message when I boot up:

The procedure entry point ?log@Clog@@QAAKHKGPADQAEKZZ could not            
      be located in the dynamic link library aswCmnB.dll.

The border on top of the window says "ashAvast.exe - Entry Point Not Found"

Have I lost a dll somewhere down the line?  Hadn't given me a sec's worth of trouble in the 6 weeks or so since installing until this occurred.  Your expert advice is much appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:Avast floundering
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 08:08:44 PM »
re installing avast should fix the problem  ;)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

techie101

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 09:39:32 PM »
zak,

I hope reinstalling Avast corrects the problem.
It more than likely is a corrupted DLL which MAY belong to Avast.

If reinstalling Avast works then great!

If not, I would firstly update your Windows.

Good luck,
techie
« Last Edit: November 28, 2003, 09:44:05 PM by techie101 »

kubecj

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 11:58:58 PM »
zak,

please send me setup.log & setup.ini from your computer. It should be located in avast4\setup directory. Address is setup-support AT asw D0t cz. Please include copy of your original message for reference.

Then please try Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs / avast4 / Repair.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2003, 12:30:13 AM »

Kub,
You lost me on this one.  I use XP and do not have any Repair for Avast listed in the Add/Remove function.  ???????????????????

techie

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2003, 12:35:02 AM »
it is listed in my control pannel hmm strange
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2003, 01:45:44 AM »

Kub,
You lost me on this one.  I use XP and do not have any Repair for Avast listed in the Add/Remove function.  ???????????????????

techie

Techie, this is strange indeed... The function is there. Unless you have change the original name/path of setup file (downloaded), this was the cause, for me, in the past of the absence of Change/Repair function in the Control Panell applet.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2003, 03:07:20 AM »
Technical,

Strange is not the word for it!

My Control Panel applet says Change/Remove not Repair, and the path is correct as far as I can tell.  The XP was OEM install and has not been downloaded or modified.

??????????????????

techie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2003, 03:10:39 AM »
I will recommend you uninstall and install again with the full downloaded setup file... You know how to do. I suggest you perform an Silent Installation from the Enhanced User Interface so you will be able to save your settings...

Walker

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2003, 04:00:54 AM »
My Control Panel applet says Change/Remove not Repair, and the path is correct as far as I can tell.  The XP was OEM install and has not been downloaded or modified.

Techie,

Pardon me if I'm barking up the wrong tree  ;) but if you go one step further and click on the change/remove you will be presented with another window (an Avast one) that has the option to 1. change 2. uninstall 3, update or 4, repair.

Walker.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2003, 04:06:22 AM »

Techie,

Pardon me if I'm barking up the wrong tree  ;) but if you go one step further and click on the change/remove you will be presented with another window (an Avast one) that has the option to 1. change 2. uninstall 3, update or 4, repair.

Walker.

Walker, are you using a XP system?  ;)
I could not get your 'first' step... My machine starts on the 'second', with the 4 options all displayed  ::)
Anyway, if it works on techie computer, it could be a great solution.
Thanks for coming.  ;)

Walker

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2003, 04:44:46 AM »
Walker, are you using a XP system?  ;)
I could not get your 'first' step... My machine starts on the 'second', with the 4 options all displayed  ::)
Anyway, if it works on techie computer, it could be a great solution.
Thanks for coming.  ;)

Hi Tech,

You've done it again.. you know what I mean  ;D ;D ;D

Yep XP... Go start -> control panel -> add/remove programs -> click on the Avast Change/Remove option and up comes the Avast window with the options I mentioned.

Walker.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2003, 11:44:17 AM »
Yep XP... Go start -> control panel -> add/remove programs -> click on the Avast Change/Remove option and up comes the Avast window with the options I mentioned.
Walker.

Oh, I see. We were talking about the same...
Techie, as you see, only your system is not good. Again, try a desinstall/install again  :-\

Walker

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2003, 02:00:28 PM »
Oh, I see. We were talking about the same...
Techie, as you see, only your system is not good. Again, try a desinstall/install again  :-\

Yes I think so Technical  ;)

Just when I read Techie saying he only had changw/remove, it seemed that he hadn't gone that step further and actually clicked on it to bring up the next menu  ;).. but I'm probably letting my mind wander again  ::) hehe.

techie101

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2003, 03:51:41 PM »
Walker,

Thank you. I found the REPAIR function.  It was as you said....one step further.  I guess the other posts were one step short. hahaha
That is why I did not understand what Kubey said earlier.

Exactly what does the REPAIR function do?  What files are checked?
Would be nice to know.  I never knew such a function existed with Avast.  I don't think that it has ever been mentioned on the forum

Comments appreciated.

techie

« Last Edit: November 29, 2003, 03:57:00 PM by techie101 »