Author Topic: AVAST! 4.1 DEC03 BETA NOW AVAILABLE!  (Read 34596 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:AVAST! 4.1 DEC03 BETA NOW AVAILABLE!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2003, 12:11:58 PM »
There is something strange in Portuguese version. The new error message:

Incompatible AV Software Running
avast! detected that the following program is running: Norton Antivirus
The on-access scanner module of this program and the on-access scanner of avast! CANNOT be active at the same time.
As a result, the avast! main on access scanners - Standard Shield, P2P Shield and Instant Messaging Shield - were disabled.

When I scheduled Norton Speed Disk at startup (so, before complete login) it runs as usual. Finishing the application I get the error above. Of course, I don't have NAV (just other Norton Utilities). More strange than this: after clicking the button 'ok' of that message, all providers start normally and were well configurated!

There must be a better detection of the presence of another AV installed, specially of those - bad ones  :P - which have a lot of things more than the AV itself.  :-\

The simple presence os Symantec drivers and folders is a too poor detection (if avast! does only this!?)
The best things in life are free.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2003, 12:15:11 PM »
One stupid question :-)

After replacing the "servers.def" file it now only includes the server with the dec03 beta path.  Do we have to copy back the original "server.def" file to receive future updates again?

Or will we still receive future updates automaticly anyway?
Well the beauty of our servers.def concept allows us to replace this file with the original one in the beta path once the beta testing is over - it will automatically switch all the beta testers back to standard distribution channels  ;D.

Pavel

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2003, 12:20:44 PM »
thanx for the info Pavel  ;D
MW

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2003, 12:22:19 PM »
do not forget to fix the help button issue at the SMTP setup page mentioned here..  ;)

In Portuguese version is fully corrected this issue  ;)

it is fixed also in the Eng. version  ;D ;D
MW

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2003, 01:01:37 PM »
There must be a better detection of the presence of another AV installed, specially of those - bad ones   - which have a lot of things more than the AV itself.

That means nothing else that at least one of the Norton AV drivers is LOADED on your machine (that's right, not only present on the hard-disk, but LOADED).

Technical, please export the following key from your registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and send it to my e-mail.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

gtaillandier

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2003, 02:02:04 PM »
Can u tell me when a French version will be available ?

Sincerely.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2003, 02:04:25 PM »
When the translation is finished? ;D
It's hard to say exactly... in about a month maybe? (It's just a guess - I'm not promissing anything).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2003, 02:02:37 AM »
There must be a better detection of the presence of another AV installed, specially of those - bad ones   - which have a lot of things more than the AV itself.

That means nothing else that at least one of the Norton AV drivers is LOADED on your machine (that's right, not only present on the hard-disk, but LOADED).

Technical, please export the following key from your registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and send it to my e-mail.

Thanks
Vlk

I sent it to you few minutes ago...
Any personal information could not be published, ok?  ;D

Could you tell me something by IM or email?

John-

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2003, 03:09:38 PM »
Hi,

I just installed the beta on my home edition of Avast!
It is really nice that you integrate the dutch language into your AV-system.  However a little question just to check if this is ok or not.

I have installed the dutch-language pack. The dutch language seems to be integrated on the antivirus scanner, but NOT on the on-access scanner (where you can config the p2p, shield,...ect).  Is this normal?

keep up the good work! :)

greetz
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:23:21 AM by EverlastingGaze »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2003, 06:56:53 PM »
No, this is not normal. The user interface should be fully translated to Dutch (only the help files are in English).
When you change the "Language" setting, you have to restart avast! for the changes to take effect. However, for the changes to take effect on the resident protection settings as well, you have to restart the whole computer; did you do that?

John-

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2003, 09:32:59 PM »
Hey, yeah i have rebooted my windows-machine and still it was the same.  But I have removed the english-language and then it was set completely to dutch.   ;)

Strange you have to remove the other language. Not that it is such a big problem :)

greetz
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:23:29 AM by EverlastingGaze »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2003, 09:35:35 PM »
So, when you rebooted your computer, the resident protection settings dialogs were in English, but when you started avast (Simple User Interface), it was in Dutch (before you removed the English pack, of course)? ???
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 09:35:59 PM by igor »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2003, 09:59:33 PM »
Igor, do you remember?, I had similar problems between Portuguese and English, I mean, the name of the providers remains in English and the other parts in Portuguese...

Now, everything seems to work...
Unfortunatelly, to change between languages is necessary to boot...
Disabling the services and the ashDisp.exe, would the user get the other language interface? I tryed but without success...  :'(

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2003, 10:04:32 PM »
Well, it was caused by the fact that the names of the providers were hardcoded (and not translated).
If I understand correctly, however, John-'s problem is that the whole windows of the resident-protection control are in English (no just the titles of the providers)... and when starting the user interface (on-demand scanner) at the same time, it's Dutch... is it right?

I remember Vlk saying the killing/restarting ashServ should update the language in the resident protection dialogs...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2003, 10:10:57 PM »
I remember Vlk saying the killing/restarting ashServ should update the language in the resident protection dialogs...

Actually, ashDisp.exe if running under NT/2K/XP...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.