Author Topic: Problem in Installing Avast 4(Home Edition)  (Read 7654 times)

Michael

Problem in Installing Avast 4(Home Edition)
« on: April 01, 2003, 03:03:17 AM »
Dear Fellows,

I am running Windows 2000(Chinese version) with the most updated service pack 4. Security is the most critical issue in running microsoft product.

So my friend recommended me to try Avast 4 anti-virus. During the installation, installer prompt I don't meet the minimal requirements. And recommand me to install in to NT4 with Service pack 4 or better ???

Is this product(Hone edition) not support WIN2000 or Chinese WIN2000? Will it be supported in WINXP?

I am wondering why, I should meet all the requirenment. Could any expertise give some advice to me in dealing this, thanks.

Michael
« Last Edit: April 01, 2003, 03:08:31 AM by Michael »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Problem in Installing Avast 4(Home Edition)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 09:22:13 AM »
Micheal,

one simple question: aren't you using Windows 2000 Server?

Neither avast! 4 Home nor avast! 4 Pro runs on Win2K Server. You'd need avast! Server Edition (coming up shortly). ;)

Anyway, I'm not totally sure whether avast! would perform well in Chinese environment. The thing is, avast! does not currently use the UNICODE character set (it uses ANSI), and so is effectively unable to work with files with e.g. Chinese names. :(

We're currently in the phase of investigating the possibilities of converting the project  to UNICODE, so that it would be much better suited, e.g. for Far-East and Arabic markets...

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Michael

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 10:43:52 AM »
Thanks VLK,

Yes.. I am using WIN2000 Server for my project. O.. really. Server version  :o  will come up soon, good  ;D

Hope will c the product very soon. I try Avast on a Win98 notebook, bravo

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 07:45:39 PM »
Micheal,

one simple question: aren't you using Windows 2000 Server?

Neither avast! 4 Home nor avast! 4 Pro runs on Win2K Server. You'd need avast! Server Edition (coming up shortly). ;)

Anyway, I'm not totally sure whether avast! would perform well in Chinese environment. The thing is, avast! does not currently use the UNICODE character set (it uses ANSI), and so is effectively unable to work with files with e.g. Chinese names. :(

We're currently in the phase of investigating the possibilities of converting the project  to UNICODE, so that it would be much better suited, e.g. for Far-East and Arabic markets...

Hope this helps,
Vlk

I an running Arabic enabled Win98SE and Avast 4 is working very fine.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2003, 07:46:56 PM by minacross »
MW