Author Topic: Boot-time scan  (Read 6030 times)

jonv

Boot-time scan
« on: January 07, 2004, 01:00:11 AM »
I installed avast home, and chose boot time scan it ran and found nothing, ran the program update(s) they installed ok, chose boot-time scan again this time flashed up keyboard error and didn't scan whats going on nothing else has changed.

xp pro, with latest avast update.

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Boot-time scan
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2004, 01:16:25 AM »
I installed avast home, and chose boot time scan it ran and found nothing, ran the program update(s) they installed ok, chose boot-time scan again this time flashed up keyboard error and didn't scan whats going on nothing else has changed.

xp pro, with latest avast update.

Thanks.

Do you have a USB keybord?  :-*
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 01:44:26 AM »
How would a USB keybord cause this?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

jonv

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 02:20:14 AM »
umm yeah. its a cordless logitech mx thing.

But scan worked fine first time, then update then not work, nothing else touched, all in space of 10 mins?

Also is this normal for files that can't be scaned?

C:\Documents and Settings\Jon\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\Jon\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\Jon\Local Settings\Temp\JET830B.tmp [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\Jon\NTUSER.DAT [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\Jon\ntuser.dat.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_02\lib\charsets.jar\META-INF\services\java.nio.charset.spi.CharsetProvider [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_02\lib\ext\localedata.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_02\lib\jaws.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_02\lib\jsse.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.1_02\lib\rt.jar\META-INF\services\javax.sound.sampled.spi.AudioFileReader [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)
C:\Program Files\Java Web Start\javaws.jar\META-INF\MANIFEST.MF [E] ZIP archive is corrupted. (42125)
C:\System Volume Information [E] Access is denied (5)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\JET6DBD.tmp [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\JET6FE0.tmp [E] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process (32)
D:\System Volume Information [E] Access is denied (5)
Infected files: 0
Total files: 58247
Total folders: 1013
Total size: 15.7 G

Thanks.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 02:42:33 AM »
I'll leave the original problem (re your boot-time scan) to the others.

But in reply to your last question, about the "unable to scan" list of files -- I might be wrong, but that list looks fairly typical, or at least quite similar to what I usually get.  My "gut guess" would be to tell you not to worry about the files.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

stevejrc

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2004, 02:44:11 AM »
this link says stuff about usb keyboard problems with avast bootup scan:

http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=874

its normal to get some files that cant be scanned. did you have any other applications open. some zip files cant be scanned anyway if they cant be opened.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 02:46:13 AM by stevejrc »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2004, 11:50:43 AM »
How would a USB keybord cause this?

When I sleep, other avast! users come to help, Mac...
See the link of stevejrc.
The keyboard error of jonv could be happening because avast could not load the necessary drivers for the keybord and so USB keyboard may not be available during boot scan (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;240658).

About the scan files, I think there is no problem:
The files at C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\ and UsrClass.dat, ntuser.dat.LOG and ntuser.dat are usually blocked.
The Java files must be false positives.
D:\System Volume Information is access denied at user login.

The best things in life are free.

Dave50

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 12:43:05 PM »
jonv -- regarding keyboard error when you sked the boot scan...

this happened to me when I first tried to install Avast! home edition.  The solution I found was to completely uninstall Avast!, delete all Avast! files from your program files, reboot, run disk cleanup, defrag, reboot,
go to start>my computer>right click on C drive>tools and schedule CHKDSK (making sure you check both options).  Okay your way out and shut down your computer (do not restart).  Wait one minute.  Turn on computer and CHKDSK should run after a 10 second countdown on the blue screen.  After computer reboots, then download Avast!, install and boot scan should be okay.

If CHKDSK doesn't work, or the Avast! boot scan reads keyboard error again, I found it's one of two things -- either something leftover from another antivirus or, as was the case in my situation, a conflict with one of the Windows Updates.  That was cured by an XP reformat, reinstall, CHKDSK and then Avast! install and all's been well.  Hope this helps.

Dave
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 02:49:44 PM by Dave50 »